Tees prompt fashion career

While some students occupy their time with sports or video games, sophomore Cathy Robbins spends free time designing T-shirts for her future clothing line.

Robbins draws inspiration from the style of members of Family Force 5, a Christian rock band, as well as from the 80s metal band, Kiss.

?When I listen to Kiss I get a really artistic feeling,? Robbins said. ?Especially when I listen to the song ?Rock and Roll All Night.??

Last year, after noticing several seniors with handmade shirts portraying “Seniors!”, Robbins began to create T-shirts to proclaim her freshman title.

She decided to make shirts with ?Freshiez? printed on them and Robbins says as soon as she created her first tee, she was hooked.

?When Cathy told me she wanted to make T-shirts, my first reaction was cool, let?s make them with “freshman” written on it,? Nacoya Villages, ’10, said.

While Robbins uses fabric paints to create her T-shirts, she wants to eventually buy a heat press to make professional-looking products.

?I wear my shirts all the time,? Robbins said. ?I?m proud of them; someday I?m hoping to make sweatshirts.?

According to Robbins, making shirts is a way to express individuality and doubles as a creative activity with friends.

?It?s a time where you can dream about what shirts and clothes you want,? Robbins said, ?but without having to pay $20 or more for it.?

Robbins also generates fashion ideas from music.

?I make shirts based on the mood I?m in or the way I?m feeling,? Robbins said. ?If I?m in a music mood, I’ll put lyrics on the clothes or something that reminds me of music.?

Robbins has a dream of becoming a professional designer, having her own line of shirts and jeans. However, the name for her future clothing line remains undecided.

?I hope to be able to design shirts for bands,? Robbins said. ?I would also love to design clothes for Christian Audigier because he really inspires me.?

?I?m hoping to make it really big and someday see my clothes in Target or Macy?s,? Robbins said. ?Ultimately, I would like to make a couture line as well.?