Auction summons patron splurges

The idea of forking out a $1000 for a brownie plate may seem ridiculous; however, once a year, hundreds of Eagle patrons splurge on similar nonessentials as well as unique desirables to help raise campus funds.

This campus will host the 25th annual auction in the FC gym on March 8. The evening begins with a silent auction from 5-6:30 P.M. followed by a catered dinner and live auction at 7:30 P.M.

“We continue the auction, because it is our premier fundraising event that provides funds to enrich the school’s program and campus development,” Debbie Siebert, Interim Superintendent, said. “The auction also offers a chance to come together as a community of people who love the school and want to support it.”

After three years as announcer and host, George Freeman, assistant principal of junior high, continues to lead the silent auction.

“Since the start of the auction I used to be the bell ringer,” Freeman said. “I would ring a bell to close the silent auction items. Due to the absence of one of one of the helpers I then went to introducing the items. Then three years ago I was asked to take the brave step forward to be the auctioneer.”

The auction features a variety of items from Lasik Eye Surgery to a glass table alongside chairs created by the 6th grade class.

“The most exciting thing I have ever saw when I have worked in the auction was one year, I saw a dozen of brownies go for over $1000,” Freeman said. “I like the auction because it is a time for the Fresno Christian High School family to get together and have a lot of fun and raise money for a wonderful school.”

With the auction generating $90,000 consistently each of the last three years, administration hopes to collect the same amount. Another traditional item, is put on by Greg Quiring, the Building Committee Chairman of the Capital Campaign and father of two.

This dinner, arranged by Quiring, typically runs for $5,000.

“It’s a gourmet eight-course meal, each one is paired with an appropriate beverage,” Quiring said. “I’ve been doing it for six years, because I want use my gifts to help the school.”

Sophomore and junior parent, Jose Ibarra, expects to go auction for his fourth time.

“The items in the auction are pretty reflective about the community,” Ibarra said, “because most are quality items, but reasonably priced. I like the auction, because it is fun, you’re able to talk to friends and spend time together. It is a good way to help and support the school.”

The event provides full community service credit for students through raffle ticket sales, parking attendants, auction assistance or clean up.

“I have helped in the auction every year because my aunt asks me to help out,” Jenna Reed, ’09, said. “It’s one of the few opportunities families have to come together to support the school. I’m confident administration will always continue this tradition.”

For ticket reservations or information on donations, call 299-1695, ext. 100, or visit the official auction page on the school’s website.