Gold shocks staff writer

“When I walked down the hall during the beginning of this year, I was nervous because I did not know anyone,” Sydney Ray, ’10, said. “I stepped into the journalism room and wondered what would take place over the next year. Never did I imagine I would be published on national websites.”

Ray joined publications to improve her writing skills and never anticipated her column, Upside to down syndrome, to be placed on PBS’ website or her article, Haircuts enhance style, to be featured on the National Edition. But gold shocks staff writer was a part of a local competition’s talk.

“Journalism is a great way to improve your writing skills,” Ray said, “and that is exactly what I wanted to do. I want to be an attorney, so I will definitely use the skills I am learning in journalism for my career.”

Even though this is Ray’s first year in publications, she participated with the Feather staff at the annual San Joaquin Valley Scholastic Press Association’ s (SJVSPA) journalism convention hosted by California State University, Fresno, March 1. Ray competed in the Rookie Features articles competition and suffered technological difficulties.

“As I was writing my article something happened to my computer,” Ray said. “The article I had originally wrote got erased when the computer froze, even though I saved the file.”

Ray had an hour and a half to write the article, but had to rewrite it in 45 minutes before the award ceremony began.

“When I finished I felt like I did awful because I basically took quotes I used and put transitions in between,” Ray said. “I did not think there was enough substance to the article. I thought there was no way that I would possibly place, so I had my parents pick me up. But when (Greg) Stobbe (adviser) called me to say that I won a gold certificate, I was shocked and thrilled.”

Ray was not alone. Alyssa Boss, ’10, encouraged her to stay and finish the article.

“Even after her article was erased, she was calm,” Boss said, “but once it set in and she realized it was gone, tears started streaming down her face. I encouraged her to stay, because I knew she has a lot of writing skills and she had potential, even if she only had 45 minutes to rewrite it.”

If Ray had not competed, the 2007-08 staff would not have won the Sweepstakes competition. They placed first over Golden West High by one point.

“She (Ray) exhibited dedication, passion and fortitude,” Stobbe said, “and the insignificant can be significant. Our kids do not have to play second fiddle to anybody, because they show these same characteristics. I am so proud of Sydney. I know gold shocked our staff writer.”

The Feather print edition was named San Joaquin Valley Scholastic Press Association’s (SJVSPA) Sweepstakes winner for the first time in campus history. The winners in the past include Golden West, Tokay High, Bear Creek High, Bullard High and Stagg High.

“I’m so thankful that Mr. Stobbe encouraged me to stay in the class,” Ray said, “even when my writing skills were lacking.”