Snow ends winter activity search

While the regular movie scene involves a complete lack of activity, shopping typically empties wallets, and Call of Duty 4 seems to have lost its appeal after being released in November, many appear desperate for another winter activity.

After four decades since Sherman Poppen’s Snurfer, the snowboarding sensation seems continue to arouse the minds of students. The National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) averaged over the last ten seasons (1997/98 ? 2006/07), the number of visits nationally was 55.57 million.

The Snurfer inspired Jake Burton, Demetrije Milovich and Tom Sims to design the more specialized and refined board commonly used today.

“I have been snowboarding for two seasons now,” Victoria Breedlove, ’10, said. “The best part is not falling. Being able to go down the mountain and not fall is great. I’m still new so I am proud of what I have achieved so far.”

The Sierra Summit 2008-2009 Season Passes began sales March 15. Passes will be usable for this season and next season. Passes will cost $269 for adults and $249 for teens.

Tyler Haritzalde, ’11, received his first snowboard in 2007, but started two years prior.

“My best memory snowboarding was when I landed my first jump at the advanced park,” Haritzalde said. “I felt accomplished and got recognition from other boarders. Also worst memory was when I slipped off the rail and landed on my ribs, then while sliding down the mountain some guy used me as a jump.”

With more than 45 trails and the new addition of a 20-foot quarter pipe, there are several slopes ranging from beginner to advanced.

“Every time I learn a new trick, I just want to keep going,” Haritzalde said. “Riding a new trail, rail or jump just makes me want to keep coming back. Just being able to do something that only a few people can do is an amazing feeling.”

Sierra Summit will be open 9 A.M.-4 P.M., however, on weekends the park opens 30 minutes earlier. If unable to get a ride up to the mountain a charter bus provides transportation.

“I have been snowboarding for five years and it is one of my favorite things to do,” Clay Alcorn,’10, said. “It is fun to get air and do tricks, and it hurts less than concrete when falling. Another thing that is fun is hiking up a mountain and going down fresh unmarked powder trails.”

The shuttle bus departs from the Fresno Sport Shop on most weekends and holidays, then arrives back in Fresno just after the lifts close. Bus and lift packages are also available. A ride and lift ticket costs $60 for adults and $50 for youth (13-17).

“My friend Taylor Eaton (freshman at Clovis North High) took me the first time I went snowboarding.” Haritzalde said. “I thought I wouldn?t like it, then I started wakeboarding and wanted to give it a try. I snowboard almost every weekend. When my parents don?t go or I don?t go with a friend, I will take the bus up and meet new people.”

For more information check out the Jan. 24, 2007, article, Snow attracts boarders despite injury.