Fiction examines anti-hero

“After killing the red-haired man, I took myself off to Quinn’s for an oyster supper.” With an opening sentence shocking in its flippancy, The Meaning of Night, by Michael Cox, entices readers into a Victorian world of deception and secrecy.

With such a callous statement, one may think the protagonist, Edward Glapthorn, would be unable to elicit any sympathy from the reader. However, Cox presents his character as essentially human, flawed but possessing virtues, and therefore relatable.

Published in the US in October ’07, Cox’s debut novel is a worthy first attempt at fiction. As a biographer and scholar of 19th century English literature, his familiarity with the time period shines through his writing.

Cox writes from the perspective of a professor who has uncovered and edited a manuscript written by Edward during Victorian England. Despite the manuscript’s claims to be a confession, inconsistencies with historical fact prevent the editor from ascertaining its truthfulness. Edward himself writes as a dedication, “To my unknown reader. Ask not Pilate’s question. For I have sought, not truth, but meaning.”

This dynamic creates an ironic tension of uncertainty throughout the novel that compliments its twisting plot.

The book follows Edward’s story of thwarted plans and betrayed loyalties. It begins with a resolution to kill his nemesis, a poet and old school friend by the name of Phoebus Daunt.

The reasons for his goal (though perhaps obsession would give a better idea of the extent of his dedication) are mysterious at first, but as the book unfolds the reader learns of Edward’s mysterious past and hopeless future.

Raised by a single mother, young Edward spent much of his time alone, taking refuge in his studies and spending much of his time pouring over books. Edward first met Daunt while studying at Eton college and the two became fast friends, united by uncommon intelligence.

However, the friendship deteriorated rapidly when Daunt falsely accused Edward of stealing a rare manuscript. Edward was expelled while Daunt continued on his path to future fame and luxury.

His education over and reputation ruined, Edward retreated to his mother’s old house. Edward vows to seek revenge on his old friend and colleague. From this point, the novel constantly gathers speed as inner plots are revealed, including the secrets of Edward’s true past and family history.

Written as something of an anti-hero, Edward’s motives for revenge are far-reaching, his thoughts deep and his reactions believable. He stoops to the basest deeds possible but never loses the sense of humanity and wry humor that makes him likable, perhaps against the reader’s better judgment.

The breadth of the novel ? which contains elements of suspense, mystery, romance, and contemplations on a life of revenge ? will appeal to a wide variety of readers.

Though the size of the 700-page book may be daunting to some readers, the intricate storyline and Cox’s attention to detail keep the pages turning.

Despite the novel’s popularity, The Meaning of Night is definitely not a children’s book. In addition to descriptions of brutality there are other adult situations inspired by the darker side of Victorian England, so younger teens should take caution.

The Meaning of Night is available for $14.95 at local bookstores and online. For purchasing information, visit Barnes and Noble or Amazon online.