The truth about political correctness

The Right often labels the Left?s choice of words as ?politically correct.? Many change or omit words that potentially are offensive to racial, religious or gender minorities. Conservative hypocrisy is apparent, however, once it is realized that people of all political views take care not to offend.

This fact is often ignored, however. The reader should recall the term ?freedom fries.? When the United States decided to invade Iraq, it faced opposition from the French government. Many Americans, furious that a former ally did not approve, felt the need to denigrate all things associated with France.

French fries became freedom fries. The term served a double purpose, as it both omitted the hated nationality and celebrated our freedom. Many elementary children found it hilarious and groundbreaking; the true tragedy was that many adults felt the same.

To this day many of my friends view the French people as cowardly and untrustworthy. Their hatred is the legacy of ?conservative political correctness,? of the attempt to avert insulting certain sensibilities by altering speech.

Another case would be those who claim to ?support our troops.? Progressives are attacked when they call someone a racist on dubious grounds. Little attention is paid when a conservative calls someone unpatriotic or unsupportive of America?s soldiers because they do not support certain military actions.

In fact, relatively little media attention was given to Rush Limbaugh?s ?phony soldiers? comment. In September of 2007, the radio show host, in a discussion with a caller, contrasted ?real soldiers? with ?phony soldiers,? or those against further occupation of the country. His direct attack on those troops favoring withdrawal from Iraq should be seen as much more unsupportive than a simple objection to the conflict.

I am not arguing that Leftist leaders and pundits are free of charge. I am simply saying that not all of those attempts can be attributed to advocates of progressive change. An irrational fear of using the wrong words to describe religious or racial minorities is wrong indeed.

However, what is often ignored is the irrational fear of describing Right-wing concerns wrongly. Perhaps the care taken not to insult our troops or to criticize America?s past and present role in world affairs should also be called ?political correctness.? The term will then be seen not as a pejorative partisan label, but as a genuine insight.