Market mimics world travels

Through China to the Roman Empire travelers trekked across the famed Silk Road to trade their goods for gems and gold. With the finest spun silk, the most exotic spices and a joining of worlds, the market was a rich excursion.

Students chose a country from a list provided by adviser Ellen King. All of the countries that will be made available for selection will have been touched by the Silk Road and spice route: China to Europe, which traveled the oceans touching the continents of Asia, the islands of modern-day Philippines, India, Africa and Europe.

Elementary grades 3-6 , with the junior high, will travel through the World Market along the makeshift Silk Road in the Ground Zero courtyard, April 24.

“I like the World Market because it is fun and you get to buy stuff,” Mackenzie Devereaux, 5th grader, said. “I bought my sister a hat last year. I am looking forward to the World Market this year so I can buy more stuff and have fun again.”

Students split into groups from all three of the world history classes. Each team will present a booth and craft. Students will set up at 7 A.M. and tear down by 3 P.M.

Every group will prepare a booth or a small structure for the day of the World Market. The structure could be made out of scrap-wood, cardboard, sticks, a canopy or even a tent. King believes the final product should look like a merchant’s booth in the 1200s.

Each team will prepare items to be sold during the World Market. It could be food, a craft, music, article of clothing, paintings or other items one may think would be available to world travelers of the time period would be interested in purchasing.

“We have been working on this project for about three weeks,” David Wells, ’13, said. “We have been working really hard on this project. We made about 72 swords, shields, bows and arrows, for our booth so far.”

At the beginning of February countries and teams were selected. In mid February students wrote a report on their country and start planning for the World Market. Each booth will be decorated and filled with items that depict the culture of country presented. Culture music is encouraged, pictures, wall hanging, crafts, entertainment, holiday and culture traditions, costumes and artifacts to barter with.

“The World Market was fun last year because we got to sell stuff and get dressed up,” Timothy Broome, ’12, said. “I am looking forward the World Market this year because it should be fun. Last year Paul (Messina, ’12) was a sumo wrestler and it was really funny.”

Students will dress in the traditional style of country they are presenting.

“I am excited for the World Market, because my brother did it last year and he said it was a lot of fun,” Chantelle Brown, ’13, said. “I think it is going to be really fun getting dressed up because I like to dress up.”

After the market closes, the students will have a world cultural feast. A campus tradition of 13 years, the Medieval Market, morphed into the current two-year tradition World Market.

“It (World Market) wraps up our curriculum that we have been studying,” Ellen King, junior high world history teacher, said. “We continue to have the World Market, because the kids look forward to being in it, when going into junior high. We changed because the Medieval Market only applied to the European unit unlike the World Market which reflects them all.”

Even though high school students are not allowed to attend, certain students are able to help with the market.

“Last year I had a good time at the World Market,” Chelsea Joy, ’09, said. “I got to dress up and the kids are actually really well-behaved for the most part and they seem to easily fill their roles. Helping with the World Market also gives me some community service and I can even put it on my college applications.”

“Each student is on a team that creates a booth that represents a country or region that was part of the Silk Road or the Spice Route,” King said. “The atmosphere is supposed to feel like you are visiting these various countries.”