Annual spring tour inspires choir

As the year approaches its end, many students and classes travel throughout California to celebrate their personal successes. However, some classes even venture out of state for their annual class-wide vacations.

After their recent performance at the North Fresno Mennonite Brethren Church, March 28, the choral department will travel to Seattle to sing in the Heritage Music Festival for their annual spring tour, April 9.

?Part of the goal of the choral program at FCS is to spread the word about what God is doing at our school to others around the country,” Aaron Bryan, choral director, said.

Each year, the choir plans a trip to both showcase their entire group and grow closer as a class. Junior Shane Darakjian traveled with the choir to Colorado his freshman year and to Los Angeles last year.

?Ever since I heard we were going to Seattle I could not wait to leave,? Darakjian said. ?I have enjoyed the last two trips with the choir so this one should be even better.?

The choral department, including the concert choir, ensemble and women?s chorale, will perform in front of adjudicators who will offer their critique.

Anyone can perform at the Heritage Music Festival. However, the judges will select one choir out of the 15 schools attending to participate in the Festival of Gold, presented around the country. Two years ago, the group was invited to the Festival of Gold during their performance in Colorado.

At the Heritage Music Festival, the choral department will be singing their entire Festival repertoire, including Bryan’s favorites: “Lux Aurumque” by Eric Whitacre and “My Spirit Sang All Day” by Gerald Finzi.

Unlike Darakjian, Ashley Hall, ?08, has not participated in the choir trip before and looks forward to the new experience.

?To be honest, the only reason I joined choir was for this trip,? Hall said. ?I?m most excited about seeing the other schools perform and to compare their strengths and weaknesses.?

Although Bryan hopes the trip will be educational, he also planned several events. The choir will visit the Woodland Park Zoo, shop at Pike’s Place Market and take an underground tour of Seattle.

?A big part of this trip is bonding,? Bryan said. ?I love these trips because we have an opportunity to get away from our daily routine and spend time together. The seniors offer encouragement to the underclassmen and take time to reflect on their time at FCS.?

For Elise Porter, ?11, this will be her first trip out of state without her parents tagging along. Porter anticipates not only her newfound independence but also the landmarks found in the ‘Emerald City’.

?I?m very excited to go to a place I?ve never been before,? Porter said. ?It should be really fun hanging out with all my friends and I get to go to the very first Starbucks, which is in Seattle.?

For more information on choir, visit Alyssa Boss’ March 28 article, Choral groups debut, spring tour next or e-mail Aaron Bryan.