Track star follows family legacy

With his passion to follow his father’s legacy and continue his junior high achievements, Josiah Ford, 11, rejoins track to compete at the high school level.

While many join sports for the enjoyment of team bonding and competitive spirit. Josiah competes in the 110 high hurdles, the 4×100 meter relay, and the long and triple jumps.

“I like track because you can compete as an individual but also as a team,” Josiah said. “I like the variety of events offered in track and field.”

After Josiah’s sisters, Aliza, ’07 grad, and Janae, ’09, participated on the track team, he hopes to continue the Ford legacy on campus.

“He is very focused and determined like Aliza,” Ericlee Gilmore, head coach, said, “but he is also relaxed before the competition. He is similar to Janae in that he is easy going and loves to hang out with friends.”

Josiah hopes to build on his success from the junior high team by: extending his triple jump to 40 feet, long jump to 20 feet, and run the 110m hurdles under 17 secs.

“My dad is the reason I started track; he was a four year athlete in high school,” Josiah said. “I started running in 7th grade. Last year, I won the All-City Championship at Sunnyside high school in the triple jump. That was cool because it was the only meet which we got medals.”

At five years old, Josiah was faced with many challenges. With a heart valve forming incorrectly, he underwent open-heart surgery.

“After going through the surgery it does not effect me now,” Josiah said. “Everything works fine, doctors did not expect the recover to go so well.”

Due to his work ethic, Josiah has shown drastic improvement at each meet. He has placed in both the triple and long jumps at each meet this year. At the Caruthers meet, April 2, Josiah set a personal record in the triple jump with 38’11