Fresno City College hosts orientation

With senior year coming to an end, many look for a college to attend in the fall. However, when considering finances and the thought of living in a different city, some students choose community college in favor of distant universities.

“The orientation benefits students because it brings students to the campus,” David Navarro, college relation specialist at Willow International College, said. “Here they will get a tour of the campus, have an opportunity for one-on-one help on scheduling classes and assistance with financial aid.”

Fresno City College and Willow International College, along with other junior colleges, hosted an orientation and registration session at 9 A.M., April 15.

“Students should come to a community college, because it has quality education at a affordable cost,” Navarro said. “Each unit is $20 and it is a good way to get general education out of the way. Students are able to get a two year degree and transfer to the college they want to attend.”

Those interested were to report to the Staff Dinning Room. Parking will be relaxed in certain lots for students attending.

“I am going to Fresno City [College] because I want to stay home for two more years and I want to have support for paying for things from my parents,” Lindsey Whipple, ’08, said. “I also am going there because it is cheaper and since I do not know what I am going to major in, I thought it was a good way to complete my general education.”

While community college may seem to be a solution for graduating seniors, courses are available to any junior or senior with at least a 2.5 Grade Point Average. However, students can only take up to 8 units.

“Going to the orientation helped calm my nerves on what classes I needed to take,” Lorin Weskamp, ’08, said. “While we were there they told us to take it a semester at a time and do the best we can with our own personal and school schedule.”

For more information, contact the college relations office at (559) 442-8225.