Sun, surf style Wahoo’s

After a long winter, I find myself craving for the beach and sun. I began my hunt for a new flavor, searching for ethnic summer tastes.

After seeing the beach-themed exterior of Wahoo’s, with its sunny patio and bamboo decor, I knew I had found just the place. Located at 7835 North Palm, Wahoo’s welcoming exterior drew me in through the door.

Wahoo’s is a seaside haven in Fresno, first founded by Wahoo brothers Wing, Ed and Mingo in 1988. Surfers as well as simple chefs, they were determined to bring their two loves to life. The result was a perfect blend of South American flavors and Hawaiian classics.

Walking right off the streets of Fresno, I felt as if Wahoo’s had taken me out of the valley. The interior is breezy and relaxing, with tiled floors and surfboard motifs to fortify the laid-back atmosphere.

Inside, the food varies from burritos and fish tacos to sandwiches and tortilla soup. The menu offers starters like soups and salads as well as combo platters. For the finish, Wahoo’s menu includes a handful of simple deserts, like cookies and ice cream.

After a glance at the menu, it became apparent that Wahoo’s offers fair prices for the average customer. Prices range from $1 for a bowl of chips to a shrimp bowl $8.54. Tacos and enchiladas, which includes beans and rice, begin at about $3.69.

As a new customer of Wahoo’s, I was unsure of the flavors on the menu. The server suggested I try the Famous Fish Taco, apparently a staple among many customers. I ordered a #2 combo platter for $6.25, with a side of black beans and Ahi rice. The two tacos included the classics, such as lettuce and cheese, as well as the title fish, Wahoo, but also included salsa. The overall meal was healthy and simple; though the tacos tasted slightly bland, the side sauce added a spicy, calorie-free flavor.

For large parties, Wahoo’s party packs and combo platters can cater groups of 10 to 100. However, with a motto like ‘drop in, have fun and eat well’, Wahoo’s is ideal for those looking for a relaxing afternoon with friends or family. I recommend Wahoo’s to anyone who wants to experience a pacific-tasting eatery.

Wahoo’s is open from 10:30 A.M. to 9 P.M. in the Southern California area. Wahoo’s has over thirty locations in California, Texas, Colorado, and Hawaii. For more information, contact them at (559) 449-8226.