Profile on the Salutatorian: Self-motivation pays off

Many appear inspired by awards, accolades or expectations. However, senior Ryan Martens accredits his 4.27 accumulative GPA to self-motivation. Due to an inner sense of responsibility and hard work, Martens will present the salutatorian speech at graduation, May 23.

Lichti: Has it been hard for you to keep good grades all of your high school career?

Martens: Maintaining a high GPA was never hard for me until this semester. My whole life I have been able to float through classes but this semester studying for all the AP tests (two English exams and one calculus exam), focusing on regular classes and single-handedly managing the hardcopy (of The Feather) was difficult. The end of this year is the hardest for any senior to to focus on; the work and commitment level has been very different.

Lichti: Who has been your academic inspiration for your success?

Martens: Actually, I am pretty self-motivated.

Lichti: What is your hardest class?

Martens: Calculus; it wasn’t too hard until the AP testing. It was not the caliber of the questions, but the amount of work.

Lichti: Even though your classes were never too taxing, have you had to deal with high expectations from parents and teachers?

Martens: I am not nervous, because my parents have high expectations and want me to succeed. I don’t really think any teachers care that much about it, because grades have always come easy for me.

Lichti: How do you feel about being awarded the title?

Martens: I am not nervous, because this award does not have much effect on my future. It’s cool to win, but because of the many other activities that I am involved in so I don’t focus on it too much.

Lichti: How did you balance your music and sports schedules with your grades?

Martens: The work ethic during sports is totally different. If you lose focus on one, you then lose focus on the other. I really had to concentrate on not slacking and staying committed to both. I played on the varsity soccer team for two years, the varsity golf team a year and I have played percussion since my freshman year. Despite these other time commitments, I had, and wanted, to stay focused on school as well.

Lichti: What do you think is your most significant accomplishment in high school?

Martens: Last year was my first year as Layout and Design Editor [of The Feather’s hardcopy] and I didn’t really know what I was doing. I just kind of made it up as I went and worked on the hardcopy the best that I could. I had a few people and Stobbe (Greg, adviser) edit it. At the end of the year, we actually won numerous awards, even though I hadn’t been tested as a hardcopy editor.

Lichti: How has the competition been between you and senior Brittany Lauber? Were you disappointed in getting salutatorian rather than valedictorian?

Martens: Ever since 7th grade there has been a rivalry between Brittany (Lauber) and I. We have kind of always competed for better grades and so it would be very cool to win salutatorian. I didn’t really care that I didn’t get valedictorian, because Brittany is a hard worker and deserves it.

Lichti: The winner must give a speech at graduation. How are you handling the prospect of a speech in front of your classmates and their families?

Martens: I want to keep it a surprise, because I don’t want to give it away. It is my moment to be on stage and surprise everyone.

Lichti: What are your plans for next year?

Martens: I just got accepted into the Biola University film school and I am really excited about that. I want to be in the movie industry but I don’t know which aspect I want to focus on: producing or editing.

Lichti: What advice would you give to underclassmen?

Martens: Don’t try too hard. School is a lot of work, but at the same time if you’re looking for it you can have a lot of fun. Don’t get bogged down by grades and the imminence of college life.

The graduation ceremony will begin at 7 P.M. in the Peoples Church sanctuary, May 23.