Spotlight beckons band battle

UPDATE May 3: Local rock band A Current Affair judged the Battle of the Bands, awarding participants with “best guitarist” and “best overall band”, May 2.

Trevor Bodi, ’09, and Mike Wilson, ’11, members of the band Aftermath, were both named best guitarists. A Current Affair recognized Siphen as the best band, consisting of Stephen Grimes, ’11, Cameron Cook, ’11, and their friend Jordan Griffin. They received $150 for winning the Battle of the Bands.

“Siphen deserved to win because Stephen (Grimes) is good at drums,” Wilson said. “They got a huge crowd and people even started a mosh pit to their music.”

Wilson and Bodi played the live version of “Paranoid” by Black Sabbath with two guitar solos after playing back and forth during a riff battle between them. This performance merited them best guitarists by A Current Affair.

“I was ecstatic to win best guitarist because Bodi and I weren’t really in a band,” Wilson said. “I joined because I wanted to win best guitarist, and I did. A Current Affair judged fairly and they were cool people to hang out with. I want to do it again next year and try to win best band.”

Fresno musicians will fight for spotlight and the chance to be named Battle of the Bands champion, May 2.

Leadership will host the annual event in Ground Zero at 7 P.M. Although the deadline approaches, Jennifer Boudreau, Battle of the Bands coordinator, allows those interested to sign up.

“I’m bringing back Battle of the Bands,” Boudreau said, “because I went last year and I really enjoyed it. I like seeing my friends perform. I’m also a music fanatic with a passion for hard rock and I love concerts.”

Currently there are four bands signed up. The band organized by junior Trevor Bodi and freshman Mike Wilson, sophomore Jesse Todd’s band, a band from Liberty High and Christian Burback’s band.

The event offers young groups a chance to showcase their talent.

“I am playing because I think it will be fun,” Todd said. “I am definitely excited to play; I have not been able to play in a band setting before, so it should be a new experience.”

Since the campus is hosting the event, lyrics cannot obtain cuss words, drug or sexual references.

“Each band will compete and be judged by the famed A Current Affair, a local hard rock band,” Boudreau said. “The best band overall will get a cash prize and the best drummer, guitarist and other musician will be recognized in some way. After all the performances, A Current Affair will finish off the night with some of their own material.”

Tickets will be sold for $5 at lunch and $7 at the night of the concert. Half of the profit made from ticket sales will be given to the first place winner.

“I like to listen to music,” Janae Ford, ’09, said, “and going to battle of the bands just sounds like a lot of fun. It’s an opportunity to be with friends and listen to different bands from other schools come together. It’s cool because each band has their own twist on things.”

For more information on Battle of the Bands, contact Boudreau at (559) 978-1917.