Podcast host shares compulsive habits

Some may view my behavior as freakish, but I prefer the term obsessive compulsive. I never attended a therapy session; however, the idea might be worth exploring.

Ever since the age of seven, I have kept my room one way: neat. I eat an apple a day and not just to keep the doctor away. I also refuse to watch TV when the volume is set to an odd number, with an exception to those ending in five.

Students can rely on the announcements beginning with a, “Good morning Fresno Christian,” regardless of how I am truly feeling on that particular day. I park in the same spot every morning and if it?s taken, I actually get upset.

I could go on, but the gist of my point is I like order in my world. If done otherwise, it often bothers me to an unnecessary extreme.

While I try to avoid change whenever possible, I?m ironically ready for graduation. After four years of bell schedules and assignments that now seem pointless, I am itching to escape the predictability of high school.

I know I?ll miss my family and friends, but I am anxious to see what the future holds for me at Cal Poly in San Luis. As a Communication Studies major, I hope to one day pursue a career in mass media. It has always been a dream of mine to get paid to talk.

My practice reading the morning announcements, conducting interviews in podcasts and announcing at the varsity baseball games have all prepared me for my potential profession.

Although AP English and playing soccer for the first time were definite challenges, podcasting remained the most trying. At the beginning of the year, I knew nothing about this electronic form of media, let alone how to write a script for one. I often questioned if it was worth the headache and confusion.

The hours spent gathering information, stories and coordinating schedules to conduct the podcasts cut into my social life. While I sacrificed lunch dates with friends, the rewards seemed to outweigh the cost as I began to improve as a host. The experience gained through interviews and working alongside Mitchell Callisch taught me more than I ever expected.

As seen in my podcasting example, I sometimes doubt my ability to cope with change because of my fear of the unfamiliar. However, even though I know my world is about to turn upside down, I trust the Lord will help me during this transition. After all, if I can survive Stobbe’s class, I can do anything.