CSF lunch salutes Cinco de Mayo

Despite the belief Cinco de Mayo celebrates the day Mexico declared independence, the day actually commemorates the Mexican soldiers who captured Puebla de Los Angeles outside of Mexico City on May 5, 1862.

Schools around the nation honor the holiday with planned activities or special lunches.

“The food is always yummy and delicious,” Emily Krieghoff, ’09, said. “The schools always provides an authentic atmosphere.”

The victory at the Battle of Puebla represented a great moral victory for the Mexican government, symbolizing the country’s ability to defend its sovereignty against threat by a powerful foreign nation.

While students enjoy the homemade lunch, some appreciate the cultural aspects of the holiday.

“For me, Cinco de Mayo serves as an opportunity to get good food,” Stephen Willems, ’08, said, “but I understand that to Hispanics it is more important. I think Biehler (Andrew, ’08,) appreciates it more than I do.”

For 10 years, the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) members have provided hot lunch for students.

“It was originally intended to raise money for CSF scholarships,” Molly Sargent, CSF Advisor, said. “This was a nothing club when it started and we wanted to make it for a purpose. We wanted to reward scholarships to students with good academic and services. in order to do this we needed to raise money and having a lunch helped with that.”

In preparation for the lunch, eight members prepped 280 enchiladas Sunday afternoon. The $5 lunch included: two enchiladas, chips, salsa and a water bottle.

For the first time in campus history, a live mariachi band preformed throughout the lunch.

“The Spanish club wanted to contribute something to Cinco de Mayo since CSF was doing the lunch,” Abigial Schoettler, ’09, said. “So we thought it would be a fun addition unlike any other Cinco de Mayo lunch.”