Social success compromises quality

When first thinking of what to write for my senior column I sat waiting for something to grab me. Unfortunately the only thing I want to address is comprising values for social success.

Through recent events, I have discovered that my own actions, independent from others’ influence, greatly impact others’ lives. In this same way, others have an impact in your life.

Friends are the ones you rely on most for opinions and approval. They are the ones who you spend your time and memories with and you know will always be there for you. But at the same time, you often are most judged by them in order to fit into the social clique you may belong to within this group of friends.

Your friends are constantly around you, observing your actions, watching your every move, and keeping in the back of their minds: Is this what is cool and socially acceptable?

High school is a continuous struggle with peer pressure and gossip. I have seen friends turn into enemies over rumors being spread through gossip or getting angry because a person did not share gossip with them. This is not a matter of trust, but indication of their vindictive personality and compromising a positive friendship for a negative.

As Dr. John H. Stoll presents the idea of What is Wrong with Society Today, he mentions a verse in the Bible, Jeremiah 17:9. God said, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can fathom it?” The words within this quote by Stoll leaves you questioning why we cause harm to those we love and respect. Why do we deceive the ones that mean the most to us?

Unfortunately, during high school, social hierarchy appears to be the driving force within peoples’ lives. Once achieving social “success”, you may have lost the quality of friend you not only want, but need to survive.

As the year comes to an end, I still remember my freshman formal, trips to New York and all the friendships that came and gone. But the memories I will remember have one thing in common: friends have got me through to the person I am today.

Over the years spent on campus I have grown in wisdom, athletic skills and writing. I could not have done it without the assistance of my friends who encouraged me throughout my high school journey. I leave not only a senior of the graduating class of ’08 but a young adult who is ready to embrace and conquer what we call the real world.