Mystery grad party bids final farewells

Every year the parents of the senior class gather together to plan a mystery graduation party. Although the students can anticipate the party, the parents aim to preserve its secrecy.

The theme of this year’s party is “Whose party is it anyway?” The party will follow the graduation ceremony, May 23. Seniors wishing to attend this event must sign up and submit $50 to the office by May 12.

Dayla Anderson, the parent administering the party, hopes to put on a memorable experience for the graduating class.

?We want this to be a special night for the seniors to remember,? Anderson said. ?High school is a unique time in life, and many of the kids in the class may not see each other again, or rarely.?

Students who attended the grad night last year encountered an emotional experience as they bid farewell to their classmates.

?It was a great time with the entire class before we went our separate ways,? Heather Neel, ’07, said. ?It was time to say our final goodbye to high school and remember all the awesome memories of the year.?

The parent planning committee of the previous year effectively concealed their plans for the party.

?My mom helped plan it (party) and she hid everything,? Neel said. ?She wouldn?t say anything about where we were going or what we were doing. Everything was a secret.?

Although students often take control of party planning, the change in responsibility relieved seniors who had to take care of other post-graduation plans.

?I?m glad the parents were in charge,? Neel said, ?because it would have been a lot for us on top of everything else. I thought the parents did a great job. It was well thought out and organized.?

Despite an ignorance of the party’s details, senior Walter Scott, drama member, looks forward to mingling with his class.

?I don?t know what will happen at it but, I?m really looking forward to the grad party,? Scott said, ?because it sounds like a lot of fun. I?m going to get to hang out with people I don?t normally hang out with.?

Whitney Chessum, ’08, plans to savor this last event with her classmates before leaving high school behind.

“I have no clue what they are going to do at this party and I don?t really care as long as it?s fun,? Chessum, track and field member, said. ?This is our last time together and it might be the last time we all get to see each other ever again.”