Hardships assist college preparation

“The best is yet to come.” Those words have been inundated in me by my dad throughout my senior year. As I approach my college years, I cannot help but wonder what challenges await me. Transitioning from Fresno Christian to University of Southern California, I am filled with apprehension as I confront new challenges and hardships.

Even with these doubts, I believe Fresno Christian has prepared me for life after high school. By enrolling in three AP classes and a college biology course my first semester, I prepared myself for the stress that comes with college.

For added difficulty, I had to balance these classes with extracurricular activities such as band and journalism while being president of the ethnic food committee for the California Scholastic Federation chapter on campus. While I do regret not spending as much time as I could with my friends by going off-campus for lunch, the hardships I endured will ultimately payoff in the future.

As news editor, I was called to a position of leadership. With over 20 new students joining publications, I had the privilege of helping them adjust to the class. My nurturing and instruction paid off as these students earned the award they worked for three months, the Online Pacemaker. By using the techniques and leadership skills I learned from journalism, I feel more confident for college.

Perhaps the most important lesson I learned in high school is to not always take the path that looks the easiest. If I did not involve myself in extracurricular activities and persevered through the times of difficulty, my high school experience would have been less memorable and satisfying.

With college looming ahead, I plan on involving myself in various activities and taking the opportunities that the Lord presents to me. While I do not know how my college years will play out, I believe I am ready for college and await the future with excitement.