Alumna awarded Wall of Honor recognition

Many take little from high school other than a transcript and essay writing experience. However, alumna Jamie (Peterson) Belmont, ’01, graduated with a soccer Valley championship, 100 goals and the leadership needed to continue excellence.

For her contribution to FC athletics, Belmont was inducted May 12 to the Wall of Honor.

“The Wall of Honor is important because it connects us to campus history,” girls tennis coach George Freeman said. “It’s good to know as a student the past history of the school, and who went before you.”

The Wall of Honor originated in 2006 by Freeman and former athletic director, Scott Callisch.

“The Wall of Honor is important because it connects us to campus history,” Freeman said. “It’s good to know as a student the past history of the school, and who went before you.”

Current athletic director Chris Schultz believes Belmont is a poster child for Wall of Honor candidates.

“She helped establish our girls’ soccer team (1997-2001) and instantly put it on the map,” Schultz said. “What she and her teammates did by going 57-2-3, two Valley championship games and a Valley title was phenomenal.”

In addition to leading a championship soccer team and being named an All-League player, Belmont participated in tennis, softball and student leadership.

“Off the field, I have great memories of leadership,” Belmont said. “Planning events such as Night of the Stars, rallies and the beach trip were always fun.”

“Jamie was like a lot of students at FC; multi-dimensional,” Schultz said. “She was more than just a one sport athlete–she got involved in the life of the community and served faithfully for four years. She learned the importance of serving.”

Belmont began playing soccer at in kindergarten, playing on both club and school teams. Her passion for the sport affected her relationships with teammates and their drive for success.

“I love the competitive nature of the sport: It is very physical and you have to work very hard in order to excel,” Belmont said. “There is also a real sense of accomplishment when you score goals since it doesn’t happen very often during the game.”

Since it’s beginnings in 2006, Belmont is the sixth alumni to be inducted into the Wall of Honor.

“Eventually we want to create an actual wall in the gym to honor the inductees,” Schultz said. “Each person is represented with a plaque detailing their accomplishments, along with a picture.”

Belmont believes her experiences on campus positively impacted her, and appreciates the award because it acknowledges the good times she shared with her teammates and friends.

“Fresno Christian did a wonderful job preparing me academically, as well as giving me the skills and abilities to excel. Being inducted is a great honor; it is really neat to be able to join the others who are already inducted. I am honored to be selected among those who helped make Fresno Christian great.”

Belmont attended Fresno Pacific University (2001-05) and started all 70 soccer games in her four years, and was the team MVP, as well as Sunbird of the Year. She married FC alumnus Casey Belmont in 2004. She recently stopped working as a gas engineer for PG & E to stay home with six-month-old son, Braden.