CJSF students receive Marian Huhn award

Every year the California Junior Scholarship Federation (CJSF) awards $250 to five junior high candidates from Bakersfield to Stockton. Brady Lee and Cayli McKinney, ’12, each received the Marian Huhn award at a conference in Gustine High School in Gustine, April 26.

“I was excited because Cayli and I were two out of five people chosen,” Lee, CJSF secretary, said. “I was surprised I could win after listening to the other candidates’ accomplishments and service.”

To be chosen for the award, nominees must collect letters of recommendation from their CJSF advisers and a member of the community. They must also submit an essay. Besides that, Brady has performed his magic act for the FCS Annual Auction and helped raise $1600 for the school by donating children’s Party Entertainment Packages. Cayli has been a member of Rage Elite Competitive Dance Team since she was seven. They have been national winners and performed at elementary schools and the Fresno District Fair.

“These two were chosen because they are outstanding students with outstanding school and community service,” Hallie Rojeski, CJSF adviser, said. “Both of these young people represent the quality of Christian young people FCS seeks to develop or we have at FCS.”

Candidacy requires three semesters spent in CJSF, with at least one as an officer, and a noticeable commitment to the community. McKinney served as president of the campus CJSF for both semesters this year.

‘I was the president of CJSF both semesters and with that came a lot of responsibility,” McKinney said. “Recently, I had to call the Craycroft Center and the Evangel Home to coordinate volunteer events.”

Although McKinney relished in her and Lee’s victory, she recognizes the distinction of the other candidates.

“I was really thrilled when they announced our names,” McKinney said. “I’m truly blessed to be chosen among all the qualified candidates.”