Senior captain models basketball expertise, energy

As a dedicated basketball player for the past 13 years, senior Bridget Teixeira has anticipated her last season on the FC varsity team.

Teixeira’s love for the sport, stemming from her introduction to it at age 5, has presented the senior with positive experiences and lessons.

As one of two senior captains, Teixeira has years of experience; she has not only played for the campus basketball team, but has participated on other club teams outside of school, as well.

“My parents wanted me to be involved in an activity,” Teixeira said. “They decided to put me in ballet, but I did not like it at all. My siblings played basketball, and watching them made me want to play, as well, so I grew up on the basketball court.”

According to Teixeira, her basketball coach, Josh Tosland, has impacted her basketball career by teaching her both sport and life lessons.

“I first met him [Tosland] my sophomore year,” Teixeira said. “He taught me some awesome basketball skills. But not only that, he also taught me to be close with my teammates and how to be a leader.”

During her time on the court and on the team, Tosland has grown to appreciate Teixeira’s dedication, expertise and energy, he says.

“Bridget is a dedicated, hard worker,” Tosland said. “She also has years of experiences, which is useful when it comes to playing. She has good energy, so it is really fun to hang out with her both in and outside of the court.”

According to Teixeira’s teammate and fellow senior, captain Ashlyn White, Teixeira is not only a close friend, but a long-time companion in basketball. White appreciates all the encouragement she has received from Teixeira over the years, she says.

“I have been playing with Bridget since fifth grade,” White said. “We played on Hanford Elite together all the way through junior high. Then, we reunited when she transfered to our campus and started playing together once again. Bridget is an amazing player who has pushed me and encouraged me.”

Although Teixeira enjoys the highlights of basketball, she has faced obstacles with continuous injuries since elementary school.

“It was so bad that I had to get surgery,” Teixeira said. “It took me a long time to recover, but it was all worth it for the sport I love.”

After the surgery, Teixeira had a difficult time playing basketball. Although she felt discouraged, she persisted, learning lessons from the experience.

“When I first got injured, I was discouraged,” Teixeira said. “I had to learn how to run again because I was not used to my new muscles. But I kept pushing myself forward and got used to it over time. After the surgery, I became a better player since enduring the pain, and it gave me a reason to work harder.”

Now, due to the recent death of teammate and friend Paige Armstrong-Maltos, ’10 alumna, Teixeira’s basketball season has taken another unexpected turn.

“Right now, I am going through hard times,” Teixeira said. “After we lost Paige, it was really hard for me, since she was a close friend of mine. But I am recovering slowly.”

Amid both highlights and difficult times in her basketball involvement, a love for the sport has remained.

When she matriculates to college, Teixeira considers participating on her school’s team to continue her hobby.

“Right now, I am not quite sure if I will play basketball after high school or not,” Teixeira said. “I will need to think about it. But if I have an opportunity, I will play.”

For more information, read the Girls’ basketball sport shorts, 2010-11, Part II. For more sports profiles, read the Jan. 26 article, First-year varsity player dominates court.