Baseball wins Modesto Tournament

The crowd hastens to their feet as they watch the ball sail over the left fielders head. They then hop up and down in anticipation as they witnessed the spherical leather mass fall past the wall. Seth Fisher, ’03, had just hit the second of his homeruns in the Modesto Christian Tournament on March 9 as the team beat Redwood Christian, 10-4, for the championship.

The baseball team began the tournament with a convincing 9-1 victory over Victory Christian. Led by the leadership of key senior players.

“Our team has great chemistry and awesome hitting power,” team captain Casey Belmont, ’02, said. “The team this year is smaller in size, yet we play smart and this is probably the best team that I have been on.”

The highlight of the tournament for many in the stands was the semi-final game against Capital Christian on March 8. With the Eagles down 0-1, Sam Fisher, 02, hit a home run to tie the game at one a piece. Tyler Wiebe, ’04, then started a two out, five run rally in the fourth inning.

“I had a full count on me,” Wiebe said. “The bases were loaded so I did what any guy would do. I hit a line drive over the third baseman’s head and then our team just kept getting hits.”
The Eagles would go on to win 8-5 and the championship the next day.

The Eagles then continued winning during a seven-inning free-for-all against the Redcats of Fowler to open West Sierra League play on March 15. In dramatic form the team beat Fowler, 6-4.

“I have had troubles with Fowler in the past,” baseball coach Jon Hall said. “I had not won any sporting event against Redcats: basketball, football, baseball. You name it, I lost to Fowler.”
The Eagles, led by the arm of pitcher John Steele, ?03, came back in the fifth inning to win in dramatic form.

After being down 4 to 2, Seth Fisher hit a two run single with two men on base and gave the Eagles the eventual victory. The win was also credited to exceptional catching by catcher Fisher.

“We really played good against Fowler,” Fisher said. “We also knew that coach hadn’t beat them in his whole career so we played even harder.” The Fowler win was the fourth time the team came from behind to win.

The Eagles for the first time in team history have remained undefeated after eight games.
“I feel good about coaching an undefeated team,” Hall said. “This team has showed great character in coming from behind game after game. I just hope we can keep it up.”

The Eagles look to continue their West Sierra league championship run and undefeated season at the Fowler Tournament March 23-24.