Sadies returns to zoo

The annual Sadie Hawkins dance will return to the Chaffee Zoo on April 6 and bring with it a night of entertainment and untamed adventure. Sadies is an opportunity for the students of the female gender to utilize their creative minds and conceive artistic tactics in order to win the heart of their male quarry.

“Sadies is a unique situation for a guy because he usually has to get the tab,” Christopher Schultz, student activities director, said. “It’s also fun for girls because they get to come up with all sorts of crazy ways to ask people.”

After taking a four-year sabbatical from the zoo, the dance will give students a “totally few experience that promises to be astounding,” according to Schultz.

In the past dinner has been provided for students, but due to anonymous complaints, students have been left to obtain food on their own. In spite of this, Sadies has been greatly anticipated by students on campus.

“I’m excited about this years’ Sadies,” Chris Burford, ’04, said. “Scavenger hunts are crazy but always fun. It’s going to be the best Sadies ever!”

The evening will kick off with an enormous scavenger hunt that will take place across the entire zoo. Students will be divided into teams, each consisting of five couples. Specially trained faculty members will be placed throughout the zoo at random locations, each possessing a clue leading the finder on to the next undercover agent.

“Last time we held Sadies at the zoo students told me that it was the best one yet,” Eunie McEntee, P.E. teacher and undercover agent, said. “Each time a student finds us, we’ll take a picture of them. At the end of everything all the pictures will be made into a collage. I can’t wait!”

As usual there will be picture taking provided by Jeff’s Photo Boutique, which will be held in the tropical rainforest. Later on in the evening dessert will be available along with optional karaoke and a magician. Many students have put forth time and effort into planning this great event, but none more than junior Julie Fujihara.

“I’ve put tons of time and put lots of effort in this event,” Fujihara said. “It’s going to be incredible to see all my hard work come into play. I just hope the students like it as much as I do.”

Schultz appears increasingly optimistic as the event approaches.

“We have the entire zoo to ourselves!” Schultz said. “Everyone will be racing around the zoo trying to figure out what’s going on. Just think, it’s going to be a bunch of animals surrounded by a bunch of animals.”

Tickets are on sale in the high school office for $45 a couple. Contact Schultz or Fujihara for more information. For more information on the Chaffee Zoo go online at www.chaffeezoo.org or call their Fresno office at 264-5988.