Congressman recognizes students at art competition

Valley art students were recognized congressionally at the 2002 Artistic Discovery Art competition at the Fresno Metropolitan Museum on April 4. Over 50 students and their family and friends from 14 high schools were in attendance in the Lyles Theatre where awards were presented.

The ceremony began with an introduction by Master of Ceremonies and Museum Associate Director Jon Carroll.

“I want to open by recognizing the hard individual work that went into the event,” Carroll said. “This type of recognition would not be possible without the careful coordination of the art council members, as well as Members of Congress across the nation.”

Carroll then proceeded to name off each of the competitors who would be receiving Certificates of Congressional Recognition for participation. Congressman George Radanovich was present to deliver each award personally.

“Art is an important part of our culture,” Radanovich said. “This competition encourages young adults to express themselves artistically.”

The winning piece of art from each participating event will be on display, as part of the national exhibition, in the Cannon Tunnel through May of 2003. This tunnel leads from the Congressional office buildings to the Capitol.

“Not only will Congress see these pictures but the general public that comes through that tunnel every day,” Radanovich said.

Of the five honorable mentions in the competition, two were Fresno Christian students. Rebekah Snow, ’02, won honorable mention for her piece entitled “Almond Blossoms” and Jessica Boyko, ’03, received one for her piece entitled “Daisy”. Kimberly Zurisk, ’02, also had a piece accepted into competition entitled “Dreaming of You”.

“As a parent and a teacher, one of the best moments of the award presentation was seeing the reaction of Jessica’s dad when her name was announced as an honorable mention winner,” art teacher Sharon Scharf said. “He was so excited and proud of his daughter? and with good reason!”

Mr. and Mrs. Boyko commented that, “We are extremely proud of Jessica.” Dave Boyko then added, “She got all of her artistic ability from her mother.”

Jessica herself stated that she felt very honored by the award and was, in fact, taken completely by surprise.

“I had worked on it quite a while…” Boyko said, “about a month. It wasn’t one of my favorite pictures, but Mrs. Scharf and everybody else liked it. I am so shy though, and I am glad that I had my back turned to everyone when I accepted the award.”

When the presentations had finished, Scharf was pleased to see how well her students competed with all of the large high schools in the district.

“The congressional competition was probably one of the more difficult contests we take part in,” Scharf said. “You could tell that by the phenomenal quality of the artwork. For us to have received two awards is quite an honor for both the students and our school.” Snow was uable to attend the presentation and will receive her award at school.

The art pieces will remain on public display in the Lyle Theatre in the Met until April 20. For more information, contact the Met by calling (559) 441-1444 or visit them online at http://www.fresnomet.org/.