Where credit is due

PacemakerWinners
[/media-credit] Editors Mary Kneefel, Andrew Rurik, Jennifer Sherfield and adviser Greg Stobbe pause after The Feather Online won the NSPA Pacemaker in April 2008.
“There’s no ‘I’ in team.”

That old adage is ubiquitous, inescapable in every walk of life. It doesn’t want to go away. Everywhere I turn, there is some situation that the phrase can apply to. As true as this is for sports teams, it is also true for journalism staffs.

I entered into this year way over my head. Mr. (Greg) Stobbe had asked me the year before to be the webmaster to give The Feather Online a simple aesthetic makeover. However, after a few summer meetings, that ‘simple little makeover’ turned into starting from the ground up.

The previous webmaster (Matthew Shattuck, ’07) was truly a master of the web. I, on the other hand, was essentially learning (or re-learning, as I did have some previous experience) as I went. This made for some interesting days and weeks as the designing process of The Feather began.

So about a month passes, and there have been setbacks upon setbacks. We are now into the first part of October, hoping to go live in December, and I am in way over my head. Thus begins the credit giving part: David Martens, the IT director, stepped alongside me and helped me out immensely.

I do not believe that The Feather Online would operate anywhere as close to as smoothly as it does now without Martens’ help. He took the projects that were way out of my knowledge base and broke them down into smaller pieces, giving me projects I could handle and helping me when I got stuck.

However, even more credit remains to be doled out. The Feather staff went down to Anaheim, April 17-19, to win an Online Pacemaker award from the NSPA. That is no small feat. As much praise as we as a staff have received, I would like to distribute a little more.

To all of our editors: You guys are phenomenal. As six of the eight of you graduate, let me just say what an honor and privilege it was to work with you these past two years.

All the writers: You all write a lot more articles than I do, and although the Pacemaker is awarded to the online newspaper, the article content is probably 75% or more of what we won on, so keep up the amazing work.

And finally, to Stobbe: Thank you for pushing me this year, for constantly showing me ways to improve, taking me to what I think is my limit and then showing me that there’s more, for driving me towards excellence in this endeavor and not being short on both constructive criticism or compliments.

There is no ‘I’ in team. Not one person won us our Pacemaker. Thirty-three of us students banded together for the long haul and came out on top as a team. Where credit is due?

And to us our team–we received the credit; we were due.