Adjustments test maturity, reliability

Many are aware of their irrational phobias such as arachnophobia (fear of spiders) or aichmophobia (fear of needles), however, they often do not recognize symptoms of metathesiophobia (fear of change).

From hair cuts to moving houses, change occurs in every aspect of life. Although change is inescapable, an attitude dictates the transition phase and ultimately future success.

According to Steve Singleton?s article, Coping with Change: Develop Your Personal Strategy everyone tends to respond to change the same way: a fight or flight reaction.

Singleton reports flight resembles ?cocooning? away from surroundings. In a work setting, this can be seen in those who do not make suggestions, ask questions or offer constructive criticism. Fighting completely resists change, involves negativity and destructive criticism.

Change will test future parents and students of this campus next fall. Superintendent Debbie Siebert will lead administration, with a new high school principal and vice principal.

While many resist the change and view it as an unwelcome occurrence, Siebert possesses more than sufficient qualifications for the position as well as a vision for the future of this campus. Those who do not welcome the change may lose out in the advantages of a new campus.

The graduating class of 2008 will experience the inevitable, by leaving campus doors to college life. For many, family will be miles away, allowing for the introduction of a new form of freedom.

Those taking steps into the unknowns of college must choose how to view their situation. If they dwell on the homesickness and refuse to get involved, their fear of the unfamiliar will ultimately hinder their experiences in college and the rest of their life.

Change exists in every stage of life. It does not end after college. Whether it be adjusting to married life or transitioning into a new work environment, the step out of the comfort zone remains a necessity to develop trust in the reliability of others.

While Singleton proves fleeing or fighting change will merely create additional problems, the answer lies in using change for its advantages. Since change is inescapable, embrace it and appreciate the growth and maturity that accompany the discomfort.