New math teacher changes focus

Though many students take for granted the privileges a Christian school provides, new math teacher, Jane Gillespie, appreciates the chance to share her faith with her students.

After earning her credential from Fresno Pacific University and her bachelor of science degree from California State University, Fresno, she decided she wanted to teach where faith was not separate from education.

Right after college, Gillespie went on a mission trip to Sarajevo, Bosnia for five months. Immersing herself in a different culture convinced Gillespie that teaching at a private school would become her goal.

“When I finished college, I had some free time while deciding where I wanted to teach,” Gillespie said. “I took this opportunity to experience something that would change my life. Seeing the way other people live made me very thankful for living in a country like America.”

Gillespie spent her first year teaching at Washington Union last year. When she found out there was an opening on campus for a math teacher, she decided to apply as the Algebra 1 and geometry teacher.

“Everything is so different here,” Gillespie said. “The students seem like they want to learn. God is a huge part of this campus.”

To become more successful in teaching and life, Gillespie looks towards her mother for guidance.

“My mom would definitely be my role model,” Gillespie said. “She’s a teacher too who is very compassionate. She is such a great mom and I want to be like her one day.”

In addition to respecting her teaching abilities, Gillespie retains her love of athletics from her mom. In her free time, she enjoys playing any type of outside sport, especially basketball.

“I’ve been playing basketball since I was a little girl,” Gillespie said. “I played all the way from 4th grade up to my senior year of college.”

Besides sports, Gillespie enjoys traveling during her vacations. Because of her extravagant splurge trip to Paris during spring break, she chose to have a simple summer break relaxing at home and going to the beach.

Ready to take on the challenges of teaching at a brand new school, Gillespie hopes to be as involved as she possibly can.