Debaters deflect direct questions

In one sense, the ?debate camp? Sarah Palin attended paid off. She more than met the (admittedly low) expectations everyone set for her prior to the vice presidential debate. In another sense, however, she reinforced her ticket?s image as a continuation of George W. Bush?s presidency.

After her disastrous interview with CBS? Katie Couric, the low expectations were understandable. However, though proving to skeptics she is able to form complete sentences, Palin answered few questions directly.

The fact that she attempted to avoid questions she was not prepared for should come as little surprise, since she even stated at the beginning that she would respond only to what she wanted. Further into the debate, it became clear Sarah Palin would keep her word.

Senator Joseph Biden, on the other hand, answered every question, and even pointed out when his opponent did not. His answers were specific and showed a breadth of knowledge she so obviously lacks. Palin stuck to bland generalities most Americans have learned to disregard.

Other viewers can make their own assessment of the heavily watched debate, but I for one honestly believe Joe Biden did a far better job of directly answering all questions in a clear and reasonable fashion. Sarah Palin simply kept claiming her running mate?s ?maverick? status will ?bring change to Washington.?

Her hesitation to specify how that will take place points to a strategy bound to fail. Because the McCain campaign finds it difficult to separate itself from the current administration, it is forced to talk in general terms.

Pushing aside the nonspecific language apparent in the Palin-Biden debate leaves bare a desperate campaign that cannot afford to sell the ?straight talk? it advertises.