Coldpay captures vibrancy, emotional depth

When Coldplay’s first American album, Parachutes, was released in 2000, the band hit big with the alternative rock crowd. Showcasing sweet harmonics, melodic pop and other mellow rock elements, Coldplay was a fresh sound to soft rock fans. As Parachutes was awarded the Mercury Music Prize, they grew quickly from just another UK rock band into an international phenomenon.

Coldplay continued to grow over the next eight years with two more studio releases, A Rush Of Blood To The Head and X & Y. The success of their previous albums kindled a fire of excitement and anticipation when they announced their newest album release with the preview title song “Viva la Vida.”

The album Viva la Vida delves into a different sound, just as the band strove for, with more patriotic marches and simplistic beats.

The project opens up with “Life In Technicolor,” an instrumental breeze that sets the mood for the rest of their fourth album.

With more of a softer rock feel, Viva la Vida shows many similarities with bands like Snow Patrol and the ever popular U2. Songs such as “Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love” and “Death and all his Friends” especially relate with their quiet yet upbeat guitar riffs and marching beat of the drums. Once again, lead singer Chris Martin does not disappoint with his soft yet colorful voice, in addition to range, as can be seen in songs like “Cemeteries In London.”

My personal favorite, “Death and all his Friends,” tells of peaceful times torn apart by war. In the climax of the song, Martin sings out ?No I don’t want a battle from the year to end/ I don’t want to cycle and recycle revenge/ I don’t want to follow Death and all his friends…? The small chorus supporting Martin at this point creates a powerful cry for peace.

While specific songs stand out, the entire album blends together into one vibrant reflection of life. Martin’s yearning for the life he once had is easily seen in Viva la Vida. Martin urges the idea of not quitting when faced with challenges in “Lost!,” and recaps this once again at the end of the album with the acoustic version. On a sadder note, the song “Cemeteries In London” mourns for the passed, as “Violet Hill” twists in the idea of being in a grey zone, neither love nor hate.

Overall the album paints the emotions and highlights of life. From reminiscing on old glory, to musing on new loves, Viva la Vida has it all.