Mudslinging: Everybody’s doing it

Barack Obama supported a bill to teach explicit sex education to kindergarten students. The Republicans caused the current economic crisis.

These statements are ludicrous. But unfortunately, countless Americans fall prey to false campaign ads and rumors. If only there were a nonpartisan, accurate source to investigate the hearsay and report its results.

Enter FactCheck.org.

The Annenberg Political Fact Check, established in 1994 by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg, serves as a “consumer advocate” for voters. It aims “to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics” ? a vital aspiration given the course of the 2008 presidential campaigns.

As the November election approaches, politicians and supporters of both parties often resort to mudslinging to garner votes from gullible citizens. Although such attempts should be received with disdain, they often succeed in their purpose.

The Web site debunks inaccuracies and distortions from debates, speeches, interviews, news releases and TV ads, which may falsely influence voters. FactCheck.org contributors research the topics and promptly publish their reports following political events.

In addition to hearsay originating from campaigns, FactCheck.org examines third-party ads and Internet resources such as MoveOn.org to weigh their accusations and present the facts.

Although TV networks provide the most convenient election coverage, Americans should seek out sources like FactCheck.org for just-the-facts reporting before they go to the polls.

It would be a disgrace if Americans elected the next president on false pretenses.