Hula, luau and concerts highlight choral trip to hawaii

Waves, sun and sand were not enough to distract the campus choir and ensemble from spreading the message of Christ in Hawaiian high schools and concert halls. While singing was the goal, both groups took time to appreciate local history as well as the Island’s vacation destinations from April 9-14.

“Going to Hawaii was a great experience for the choir,” Marc Ferguson, choir director, said. “The main purpose of the trip was to sing and minister to others. We also went to have fun, get to know each other better, and enjoy the sights of the Island.”

While on the island of Oahu, the choir sang at two high schools and also gave a full concert at the Waipio Grace Brethren Church. For many students, the most fulfilling concert was the one given to Ka Punawai Ola Retirement Facility.

“It was amazing to see the faces of the retirement home residents light up when we came in,” Jillian Childress, ’02, said. “I really enjoyed talking to the residents because I was able to show them that there is someone who cares and I think it really affected their hearts.”

On April 11, the students made an emotional visit to the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.

“Pearl Harbor was a weird experience,” Derrick Lehman, ’04, said. “After stepping off onto the Memorial, I realized that right underneath me was a group of people that died for our country. It was really sad to think of all the bodies still buried in the ship and then to see all their names on the wall.”

After the visit to Pearl Harbor, the students enjoyed a luau at Germaine’s Luau. The girls of the choir were able to minister to those that attended by singing the blessing before the meal. The entertainment of the evening included cultural dances showing the different cultures that have influenced Hawaii.

“The luau was great,” Krista Moore, ’03, said. “I went onstage and learned how to do the hula. I liked being onstage and learning this form of interpretative dance because it helped me to learn about the Hawaiian culture.”

The last two days on the Island were free days, as two singing engagements were cancelled. On these days, the students participated in a wide variety of activities, ranging from shopping to parasailing.

The whirlwind choir trip to Hawaii ended in a flurry of activity. After 12 hours of traveling, the students finally arrived back in Fresno early in the morning on April 15. All the students hard work fundraising proved worthwhile after spending five days in an island paradise.