Campus SAT scores exceed national, state averages

“What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight-it’s the size of the fight in the dog,” Dwight D. Eisenhower said.

As is the case with classic stories such as David and Goliath, many expect the large to conquer the small. However, ’08 alumni defied the norm when they achieved higher Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores than public schools in Fresno County.

According to the Los Angeles Times California Schools Guide, average public school scores in Fresno County were below Fresno Christian. The class of ’08 scored an average 1592 on the SAT, with a 546 on English, 533 on mathematics and 511 on the essay portion.

Sierra High ranked highest among public schools with 1580. Others include Buchanan High with 1545 and Clovis West High with 1535.

“I am very satisfied with the students’ performance on the SAT,” Principal Jon Endicott said. “It shows that we are preparing them for college. Even though our school is small we can be proud of the academic success our graduates received.”

Endicott credits the success to the school’s curriculum.

“The overall quality of the academics program influenced the SAT score,” Endicott said. “We have exceptional English and writing programs. Our English and math scores have been very good due to the preparation given from the classes.”

Throughout the years, campus SAT scores have remained above the national average (1511) and the state of California’s average (1513). Natalie Douty, ’95 alumna and English II teacher, attributes the campus’ scores to its size, claiming that small classes are beneficial.

“Fresno Christian has done a great job of educating their students,” Douty said. “The small classes cause a closer relationship among students and teachers, creating a better environment for learning. The high expectations and support of parents and teachers help students succeed.”

With a class of 67 students compared to hundreds at public schools, senior Molly Griffin takes pride in their success.

“Even though I didn’t take the test last year, I’m proud that my fellow students did really well,” Griffin said. “The fact that our school did so well shows a lot about how the teachers care about us and spend time making sure we are prepared for the SAT.”

Senior Luke DeGroot hopes for a repeat performance when his class will take the SAT.

“I’m taking the SAT this year and I hope all my preparations throughout the year pay off,” DeGroot said. “I hope the high score streak continues. It’s always cool when our school does better than other schools.”

For more information on the SAT, read the Sept. 9 article, SAT registration looms or visit CollegeBoard.com.