Dance crowns homecoming king

The final day of spirit week brought about one of the most popular features of the royal court pageant: the king dance. King nominees Scott Orcutt, Nathan Hinojosa, John Dinsdale, Trevor Bodi and Andrew Rurik readied their signature dance moves for the stage to impress the student body, Oct. 3.

“My favorite part [of being nominated] was the dance because it was fun to goof off with the other kings and the dance always goes down in Fresno Christian history,” Orcutt said.

The potential kings attempted to follow careful choreography, beginning with a few suggestive poses beneath dimmed lights. After some synchronized pop moves, the boys were given the chance to show their true jives.

“I don’t think I did the best dancing on my song,” Bodi said, “because I don’t think that I did anything funny or gratifying for the crowd.”

Hinojosa offered a YMCA rendition, immediately followed by the Michael Jackson-inspired moon walks and pop moves by Dinsdale. Orcutt, though impaired by a leg injury, revealed his dangerous side and Bodi rocked his head to the ’80s. Rurik wrapped things up with an N’SYNC classic.

“I liked Andrew Rurik’s dance the best because he looked like he was in a boy band,” senior Hayley Volpa-Olsen said. “He looked like he was singing it himself.”

After the dance, queen nominees Megan Ortiz, Brittany Stobbe, Janae Ford, Natalie McCallum and Ani Paparigian appeared onstage to be charmed by the kings’ best pick-up lines. Orcutt interrupted the trend of short bids with a page-length poem to both woo and frighten Ford.

“At first, I thought it was sweet, but then it started getting creepy,” Ford said. “I thought it was really thoughtful that he took the time to do that and I thought it was funny.”

King candidates then paired with their queen counterparts to participate in a Project Runway-esque relay race. The queens, positioned behind the kings, applied makeup to them and sent them off to bob for lipstick in a tub of prune juice and chocolate milk. After smearing their salvaged lipstick capsule on their lips or chin, the kings dressed in feminine apparel and put on a fashion show for the audience.

“It was funny seeing a football player with lipstick on,” Josh Smith, ’11, said. “It tested how much the kings trusted the queens when they put on makeup and it gave the kings a chance to show their creativity.”

Following the events of the king pageant, students proceeded to the quad to vote for each position of the homecoming court. Student leadership tabulated the ballots and announced the homecoming king of 2008: Scott Orcutt.

“I was very excited because all my hard work was rewarded,” Orcutt said. “It’s an honor to know that the student body chose me to be homecoming king. I’m looking forward to the halftime ceremony when I will get to wear the crown and see all the other people be announced.”

Homecoming queen and class princesses will be presented during halftime of the 7:30 p.m. varsity game at Clark Intermediate.

For more information on homecoming, visit the Sept. 30 article, Princess pageant heralds regal rivalry and the Oct. 3 article, Bash video, oatmeal brawl forge queen camaraderie.