Freshman princesses defy prissy stereotype

Princess: a title only given to four students in the entire school. Freshmen Lisa Lumeya, Brooke Stobbe and Darlene Idsinga, were given the chance to showcase their royal potential. Each girl competed in a series of games in order to gain potential votes.

This year, the princesses participated in a swamp-themed tournament to determine who is deserving of the crown. Lumeya enjoyed the games even though she felt disgusting after being forced to drink vile vegetable smoothies and dig through a concoction of mayonnaise.

After the competition, she and the other candidates were covered in a mixture of dirt and food.

“My favorite part was tackling Brooke Stobbe,” Lumeya said. “I was expecting it to be a lot worse. I thought that I might have had to eat cat food.”

Stobbe was apprehensive before the event because she believed the student leadership team would take advantage of her. Like Lumeya, she feared participation in something overly repulsive.

“I thought that I would have to drink frog juice,” Stobbe said. “I thought that for one of the games that there might be trout slapping.?

Idsinga found the games entertaining as well. She found herself dreading the competition’s future as Brianne Ainley, ’11, exposed the surprises of each event.

“Before I kept thinking that I was going to have to eat fish,” Idsinga said. “I just thought that there was going to be a lot of eating.”

Overall each of the princesses enjoyed the experience and all hope to become nominated next year. For more information, visit the Sept. 30 article, Princess pageant heralds rivalry.