Freshmen encounter college pressure, embarrassment

Many freshmen began the school year staring across crowded hallways; their tentativeness and timidity emitting a familiar emotion. The pressure of academics and awkward social situations prey on their minds. The fears of new high school students affects classroom performance and confidence as they adjust to the other side of the stairs.

By summer’s end, freshmen are often not prepared for the level of responsibility that high school level homework will require.

?I was worried the classes would be harder because of the high school homework,? Forrest Hale said. ?So I have to do all my homework or it will hurt my grade.?

College is also a concern that freshman are asked to consider in the first semester. The transition between a carefree life and grades counting towards a final GPA is difficult to comprehend in the fall semester.

?I expect the classes to be harder and for there to be more homework because it starts to count for college,? Cameron Kay said. ?Therefore I am making sure that I get all of my homework done.?

Some have set high goals for themselves to improve their grades.

?I will get a good grade this year,? Hale said. ?Actually I am going to get a 4.0 for my GPA this year. This will help me later on in my life.?

While succeeding at academics is a main concern, freshmen sometimes fear embarrassing mistakes inside and out of class.

?I forgot to cover my Spanish book,? Kay said. ?It was due that day so my best friend laughed at me.?

Most people have one memory that flushes their cheeks, but others seem constantly in the midst of awkward situations.

?Paul (Ocheltree) and I were racing up the stairs and I tried to win and I slipped and fell and hit my leg, head and wrist on the stairs,? Raine Hayes said. ?The reason why we raced was to get to the single chair at the top next to the desk.?

Freshmen tried to relax on the last week before school because of the extra stress of going into high school.

?I tried to relax and play video games as much as I could,? Kay said, ?because once it started I would be doing homework.?

All freshmen are experiencing a new environment, but for new students like Allison Camden, there are even adjustments.

?Going to a new school I was a little scared,? Camden said. ?I was also a little nervous about how fast or how slow I was going to make friends in a new school. I wasn’t sure if they would be mean or nice but I’m happy it turned out the positive way.?

For more information, read Freshmen reveal fears, Freshmen complete first semester, Freshmen genesis or Exhausted freshman.