Senior dedicates hours, increases speed

While many students consider a mile-long run a punishment, a few dedicate their time to increasing their speed. The campus cross country athletes run three to five miles every day for practice and work endlessly to perfect their times.

After several team members encouraged her to join, senior Kailee Maxey decided to become a part of the cross country team for the first time. Though she participated in track and field freshman year, she hope to stay fit and experience even more team bonding.

“I was hesitant about joining at first, but I decided that the team experience and the exercise would be worth it,” Maxey said. “It is also a good way to make memories.”

The team trains by running the five miles to and back from Woodward Park and sprinting certain circuits and hills. Because of their daily practices, they constantly improve their times.

“The season has very difficult and tiring,” Maxey said, “but the whole team has been getting better times and that is defiantly an encouragement.”

Coach Ericlee Gilmore believes the team this year is very strongly united and works hard together.

“Five out of six of the girls qualified for state and everyone improved their times through out the season,” Gilmore said. “I am very proud of the hard work and effort everyone has put in to this season.”

Despite it being Maxey’s first cross country experience her determination and natural running abilities helped her improve. Her encouragement of other members and positive attitude gave her a leadership role on the team as well.

“This year Kailee worked very hard and became our second runner for the girls’ team after Janae (Ford, ’09),” Gilmore said. “She continued to improve throughout the season despite injuries; she was very consistent.”

Outside of school, Maxey likes to relax with her friends. Her family also takes Woodward Park bike rides on the weekends.

“My favorite activities is going with friends to the movies, or dinner, or just at Starbucks,” Maxey said. “I also love watching One Tree HIll and reading books by Christian author Lynn Austen, and thrift store shopping.”

In addition to enjoying both her sport and weekend activities, Maxey continues to plan for college, similar to most of her senior classmates. Her school interests vary, but she is interested particularly in UC schools, such as Long Beach, Irvine, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.

“I am not exactly sure what I want to major in yet,” Maxey said, “but I am interested in some UCs because I would enjoy going away to school.”

Though college approaches, Maxey still enjoys watching high school sports and participating in them.

“I enjoy watching soccer and volleyball and I think I would enjoy playing them too,” Maxey said. “This year I might play soccer as well.”

While Maxey has pursued her interests in cross country and yearbook, she also appreciates the time she has spent contributing to others.

“One of my favorite memories of high school was counseling 8th grade camp at Calvin Crest,” Maxey said, “It was so fun having all the junior higher girls looking up to and sharing secrets and just making memories with them.”

With the end of the season approaching, the athletes continue to work hard and prepare for the state championship meet in Woodward Park on Nov. 29.

For more information, read the cross country sport shorts or e-mail Gilmore.