Coaches race, motivate team

Students often believe the best coaches lead their athletes by example. Because of their experience, coaches are able to understand what their athletes are going through.

The Saint Agnes Men’s Club hosted the Cross City Race on Sept. 21 in front of Fresno’s City Hall. Ericlee Gilmore, cross country and track coach, and Chris Schultz, athletic director and varsity basketball coach, participated in this race in order to physically challenge themselves.

Gilmore finished 39th out of 362 runners in the overall race while Schultz finished 38th. In the individual age divisions, Schultz finished second (35-39) and Gilmore finished fourth (30-34).

?This was my first 10K race and I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the excitement of running,? Schultz said. ?Ericlee always does a good job of pushing me during our runs. I felt really good during the race and we finished strong.?

Every Friday since school started, Schultz and Gilmore met together at 6 a.m. to strenthgen their endurance. They ran for three miles and eventually worked up to five. According to Gilmore, they worked as training partners and pushed each other.

As head of the FC Health and Wellness Council, Gilmore, along with Schultz, believes it not only helps athletes perform better, but prevents illness and fatigue. They encourage their athletes to stay fit and pay attention to what kinds of foods they eat. The race provided motivation for both coaches to stay in shape.

?I guess you could say that I’m always on a health food diet because that’s my life style,” Gilmore said. “I’m always in training.”

Freshman Jeremiah Brown also competed in the Cross City Race as a student. He ran in the 14-19 age division and finished third. He, his mom and his dad all decided to participate as a family. Brown previously ran in the
Breast Cancer Awareness race at California State University, Fresno, as well.

According to Brown, watching Schultz race enabled him to relate to his coach in other ways besides on the basketball court.

?When coach Schultz ran [in the race] it showed me that he’s not just a bunch of talk but he actually does stuff to stay in shape,? Brown said.

Tatiana Fontes participates in Gilmore’s cross country team. She feels like the Cross City Race showed how Gilmore sets an example for the team. He teaches his team about the importance of training and good sportsmanship.

?This race showed that coach Gilmore practices what he preaches and sets an example for us,? Fontes said. ?He understands what we go through during a race and he appreciates all the work that we are doing.?