SAT9 tests scramble students across Calif.

Students scrambled to complete their Standard Achievement Test 9 (SAT9) on April 15-16 in order to finish in the allotted time.

The SAT 9 is taken by all students in California to measure and evaluate the schools curriculum in comparison to the set standard and last year’s scores.

“The SAT 9 tests students skills in all areas from social science to math, study skills to grammar, and English to history,” Vice Principal Ginger Niemeyer said. “This test also helps us to know how we are doing as a whole school and what needs to be changed.”

Students and administrators agree that this test helps the school know how its education is improving or not.

“This test helps teachers and administrators to know what students should learn in what grade level,” Principal Gary Shultz said. “The Christian School version is designed to be harder than the public school test. This test helps us to see how we scored compared to last year and in what areas we may need to improve.”

The tests were administered in the morning both days and an abbreviated class schedule followed.

“I don’t like the SATs,” Danielle Roberts,’03,said. “They are pointless, annoying, useless and not even for a grade. I skipped the first day because I was tired after Hawaii so now I have to make them up during three lunch periods.

Campus students who missed the test days are required to make them up on their own time in the office. While some students do not like to take the tests, they are a good practice for up coming SAT tests. Many colleges use SAT to determine eligibility and scholarships as well.

“We are always looking to improve ourselves,” Niemeyer said. “The tests are a good way for students to find out how well they may do in standardized testing. Test scores are always available to parents and conferences can be scheduled.”

The scores are placed into a cumulative folder and are kept there and are included in transcripts for college. SAT9 results are not mailed home but conferences can be arranged with Niemeyer or Principal Schultz to review the scores and their meanings. Parents or guardians can call the office at 297-9464 ext. 127 to make an appointment.” “Greg Stobbe” “During the month of April, Fresno and Clovis Unified Schools participate with most of the nation in administering the SAT-9 tests to its students. Fresno Christian Schools also participates in these tests. Here part of the junior class takes the second of four tests administered on April 15.” “” “” “