Junior high appreciates first semester repose

The end of the first quarter finally came and went. Many memorable moments have been made so far, involving laughter and tears.

With the day broken up, the new class schedule gives students the chance to start over every 50 minutes, making the days feel different.

Many students from the sixth grade last year have adjusted to the seventh grade faster than they expected. Now they feel like they have the power to stand up against the teachers, as many rules don?t apply to them. The limit of only wearing uniform shorts, bringing their iPods, phones and pretty much any portable device during lunch no longer apply.

?I?m so happy that I can listen to my iPod and use my phone,? Dustin Swain, ?14, said, ?because last year I got a consequence for my phone, and I?m probably texting in class right now.”

Along with the new seventh graders, the newly introduced strength and conditioning class attracted many junior high students. In the class, students partake in weightlifting and running in an effort to improve their muscle mass and stamina each day.

?Strength and conditioning rocks!? Troy Folmer, ?14, said. ?Now I can get buff and run at super fast speeds.?

The elementary tackle football team squirmed through many plays resulting in victories and losses. They subtly ended their season without making it into the playoffs winning three of their nine games, but it didn?t dampen their spirits.

?The football team is a great place to relieve stress, get fit and feel accomplished while also using up extra time and making friends,? Bobby Christopher, ?14, said. “It?s also really fun to hit people.?

The new lunch service featuring different places such as Casa Corona, Pick Up Stix, Pita Pit and occasionally Robeks Smoothies, allows students to try something new every day.

From muffins to hamburgers, Jean?s lunch truck was missed by many students. He gave students the opportunity to buy a diverse variety of different foods and drinks like Gatorade, burritos, lumberjacks (a sandwich with eggs and bacon), chips and iced tea.

“I miss Jean,” Nicholas Baladjanian, ’13, said. “He had a all kinds of different things to eat and the food was actually good.?

After third period during the 10-minute break, stuff mart is the place to buy cookies, crackers and yogurt. However, students miss when it was opened two periods. It is a thriving business that is still going strong, operated by California Junior Scholarship Federation students.

?Now I won?t starve before lunch,? Joshua Thao, ?14. ?I always love the strawberry yogurt.?

Now as we move on to the second quarter, it?s time to start bringing winter coats and get ready for Thanksgiving, and await the longest break in any school year: Christmas.

Christopher Rose is a seventh grade student who will occassionally write articles about the junior high.