Linebacker continues despite cancelled season

After multiple seniors left the varsity football team and the program no longer existed, the remaining team refused the offer to play on the varsity level. Despite their choice, coach Bonnar Cunnings still gave individual players the option to continue playing football or continue towards their winter sport.

Junior Julio Ibarra was among those who refused to continue playing, but soon changed his decision and his outlook.

“At first, I was furious,” Ibarra said. “I was mad at everyone and everything, and I would explode at the smallest things. But our team totally supports JV and all of the players. And now I’m still mad but it’s in the past and we’re moving on.”

Ibarra, after opting to remain a part of the football program, continues to participate as a linebacker on the field along with his younger brother, sophomore Danny.

“I like playing with Danny,” Julio said. “Football gives us more to talk about, and an extra connection as brothers. It definitely has brought us closer, and we make each other better by sharing tips out on the field.”

As a junior on the JV team, Ibarra holds an important spot among his younger and less experienced teammates.

Ibarra began with flag football in the 8th grade and played tackle football for the first time his freshman year. After three years, he made his way up to the varsity level until the program unexpectedly discontinued for the rest of the year.

“I played flag football just because everyone else did,” Ibarra said. “But I started tackle freshman year because I like hitting people; it’s an easy way for me to release my anger.”

Ibarra recalls a single moment that cost his team a game against Firebaugh freshman year.

“We were on punt return,” Ibarra said. “I wasn’t supposed to be close to the ball but I ended up touching it and then I stepped away. Firebaugh recovered the ball and ended up scoring. If that wouldn’t have happened, we would’ve won that game, and Fuller still won’t let me live that down.”

Outside of football, Ibarra enjoys weightlifting and going to the movies. Classmates find Ibarra at the movie theater on a weekly basis.

“I really like comedies, dramas and action films,” Ibarra said. “Right now my favorite is The Patriot. It has a good mixture of action and drama, and it’s a great historical story. Plus, the action scenes are killer!”

For the past seven years, Ibarra and his family have travelled to Nicaragua where his mother (Ivette) grew up. One year, he took dance lessons from a woman in the city of Nandaime.

“My instructor took me to parties in the city and I learned all kinds of different dances like Cumbia, Salsa, Merengue and Bachata,” Ibarra said.

Teammates recognize Ibarra by his dance moves on and off the field. His best friend John Dinsdale, ’09, also shares a love for the hobby, although their taste in style differs greatly.

“There’s no competition because I know I’m better,” Dinsdale said. “But as far as Latin dancing goes, Julio could beat anyone.”

Along with a love of sports, Ibarra also dedicates himself to academics. This year, he joined the Academic Decathlon team for the first time. The focus for the ’08-’09 Academic Decathlon competition is Latin America.

“I’m fascinated with Latin America,” Ibarra said. “It gives me a great opportunity to learn and it helps a lot that I’m a part of the culture, giving me a great advantage.”

Coach Bonner Cunnings, head of the varsity program, says Ibarra’s diligence in various areas makes him a well-rounded student.

“Julio is not only a leader on the field, vocally and physically,” Cunnings said, “but he’s also a leader academically, and each day I see him growing spiritually. He pushes the hardest, and he always gives 100 percent.”

For more information, check out the Football sport shorts.