How to: Orange chicken cures hunger blues

As your stomachs ache for hunger and the evening draws near, you crave for a fast, easy way to make dinner. If you are tired of the same old sandwiches and Top Ramen noodles, I have a solution for you. Trader Joe’s offers a tangy orange chicken recipe that melts in your mouth. If you are feeling extra hungry, I recommend pairing it with a side of unique white rice.

This store-bought dish only needs a few basic ingredients. The rice calls for:

2 large eggs
4 tablespoons of oil for stir-frying
4 cups of cold cooked rice
1-2 tablespoon of soy sauce or oyster sauce

First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. While the oven is heating, lay the orange chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes or until crisp and golden.

While the chicken is being cooked through, begin the fried rice. First, heat a frying pan and add two tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the two eggs and begin to scramble, making sure not to over-dry them. Once the eggs are completed, remove them and clean out the pan.

Next, add another two tablespoons of oil to the pan and begin to fry the rice. Make sure the rice is already cooked and cold before adding it to the pan. Gently stir the rice for a few minutes, using a wooden spoon to break the rice apart. After the rice is heated through, stir in soy sauce as desired. Once the rice is a golden brown color, add the scrambled eggs back into the pan and mix thoroughly. For an extra twist, add finely chopped onion to the rice.

Once the chicken is almost done baking begin to make the pre-packaged sauce. Start by pouring the tangy sauce into a microwave-safe bowl and cook for one to two minutes or until the sauce becomes hot. Once your sauce and your chicken has finished cooking, toss together and serve hot.

This classic Asian dish serves three to five people. For more simple recipes, visit Emily Schoettler’s Nov. 4 article, How to: Pumpkin squares flavor fall delicacy.