Cheer conquers FCC Capital Classic

After the cheerleaders’ success at the United Spirit Assocation Regional Competition, the super squad, along with the elementary counterpart, traveled to Sacramento to compete in the Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders (FCC) Capital Classic at Capital Christian High School, Nov. 15.

Although no other teams entered in their division, the competition recognized the super squad as the grand champions of the event, repeating last year’s feat. The judges evaluated the squad with scores of 8, 8.9 and 9 points out of 10.

“I was very proud of the girls,” coach Katie Medenhall said. “They scored higher than all of the other teams competing. They were No. 1 out of all the teams there.”

Before the Capital Classic, the squad thought the competition would not include recognition of grand champions. After they won the title, however, the cheerleaders celebrated their triumph.

“We were told that they weren’t doing grand champions this year,” Leah Christopher, ’10, said. “But when we heard that there would be, we were so happy because at first we felt like there was really no reason in going.”

The cheerleaders performed their routine twice during the event. After the first demonstration, judges provided a critique session in order for the team to improve before the second performance.

“They loved the visual aspect of the routine and the way it flows,” Mendenhall said, “but wanted to see cleaner tumbling and cradles [that is, catching cheerleaders out of stunts].”

Along with the other squads, the cheerleaders performed their routine for a second time following the judges’ comments.

“I think we did a lot better when we performed the second time,” captain Lindsay Bolduc, ’09, said. “We had more of an attitude that we were actually being judged and that this is what would count for our score.”

Mendenhall said she intends to increase the difficulty of the squad’s routine before the national competition.

Elementary cheerleaders compete alongside squad

The super squad found supporters in the stands in the form of fifth and sixth grade cheerleaders, as the elementary squad also performed at the competition.

The young cheerleaders merited second place in their division at their first competition.

“I was so happy for them,” Bolduc said. “They did an awesome job and I am excited to have such young girls representing FC cheer.”

Both squads encouraged each other while the cheerleaders from each team demonstrated their routine.

“Watching the varsity girls cheer on the youth girls and vice versa was the best part,” Mendenhall said. “Encouraging each other is what it’s all about.”

The super squad will next compete at the Golden State Spirit Association’s (GSSA) 1 Spirit dance and cheer championships in Sacramento at the Sacramento Convention Center, Dec. 13.

For the complete competition schedule, visit the cheer Web site. For more information on cheer, visit the Nov. 13 article, Super squad secures USA Regional Competition victory or e-mail Katie Mendenhall.