Bond flick busts big screen

While movie viewers often recognize the famed James Bond series for its characteristic musical scores and espionage-themed plots, the newest addition, Quantum of Solace, unveiled an unfamiliar aspect of Bond to the big screen.

After a murderer takes the life of his lover, Vesper Lynd, Bond (Daniel Craig) endeavors to get revenge. His mission leads him to encounter Dominic Greene (Mathieu Amalric), a ruthless businessman determined to convert struggling democracies into dictatorships.

Bonds’ journey takes him across the globe to undeveloped countries such as Haiti and Bolivia. Past connections steer Agent 007 to Italy after MI6, the notorious intelligence agency Bond works for, cancels his passport and credit cards. In Italy, he meets with Mathis (Giancarlo Giannini) for funds to continue on his mission to stop Greene.

Classic Bond chase scenes occur throughout the film with pursuers from the CIA, MI6 or even terrorists at his heels. His actions reflect that of a loose cannon with a gun and a silent conscience, which jeopardizes his credibility as a MI6 agent with M (Judi Dench), the paranoid head of the agency.

Without fail, Bond seems to find a way to be framed in each situation. His intense passion for vengeance blinds his judgment throughout the film.

While spying on a meeting between members of Greene’s organization, Bond captures a bodyguard and pushes him off the roof of a second building. Although the bodyguard survives, Greene later kills him. M blames Agent 007 for his death. Scenarios like this follow Bond throughout Quantum of Solace.

Though its high-intensity opener matched most other 007 movies, the quality of the movie deteriorated after the initial excitement. The film left the audience with many unsolved questions while it only resolved the prominent conflicts.

Although Craig’s character featured similarities with Sean Connery, he put a spin on the role to make it uniquely Craig.

Although Quantum of Solace employs the same actor for Bond as in Casino Royale, the structure of the movie pales in comparison. A single scene transition explains Bond’s route to every location in his travels, leaving viewers lost.

Fans of action movies such as those in the James Bond series or Bourne Trilogy films may be disappointed with Quantum of Solace. The slow-paced dialogue coupled with some plausible action scenes made for a big screen bust.

Quantum of Solace is currently playing at most local theaters. For show times, visit Fandango. For more movie reviews, visit the Oct. 30 article, Mythology darkens Max Payne.