Met Museum refurbishes hands-on education

After a three-year remodeling project, an updated Metropolitan Museum returns to the city of Fresno. Located downtown on Van Ness Boulevard and Calaveras, the old Fresno Bee Building celebrated its grand re-opening, Nov. 13. For the weekend opening, 28,000 people crowded in the new museum free of charge.

The Met originally planned an 18-month hiatus for an interior update of the museum. However, due to the condition of the 100-year-old building, a longer, more involved upgrade was started. After taking a $15 million loan along with raising $28 million in private donations, the museum has finally returned.

Elizabeth Bolduc, ’11, was unaware of the grand re-opening, but appreciates the new attractions’ appeal.

“Maybe I’ll get some friends together and check out the new exhibits,” Bolduc said. “I’m not really interested in that stuff but the museum seems like something new and exciting to visit.”

The bottom floor consists of Crossroads II, which shows how museums across the nation help prevent light damage to old American artifacts such as flags, pictures, clothes and furniture. Complete with hands-on experiments for guests, the exhibition educates viewers about the importance of conservation to preserve the country?s history.

A few feet away lies the play center, which proved popular at the old Met. The room consists of an array of experimental projects for people of all ages. From balancing blocks of wood like rock formations to a virtual pollution game that expose the damages of a profuse amount of pollutant buildings and vehicles. The urgent need for recycling is displayed along the walls as well as a few presentations in the play center.

The two middle floors of the Met contain the highly anticipated Feathered Dinosaurs and the Origin of Flight exhibition. Fossils of prehistoric creatures are scattered throughout the floors along with a few life-size presentations of dinosaurs. These fossils contain evidence of flightless feathers on animals previously considered dinosaurs. The exhibit presents the question: Are these feathers useless to the animals, or are they used for flight and part of the evolution process from dinosaurs to birds?

The museum presents a non-biased opinion of the exhibition and allows guests to decide for themselves. Deinonychus, a dinosaur resembling a velociraptor, was once thought to have no feathers ? just skin like that of a reptile. Based on recent fossil discoveries in China, it is now believed that the dinosaur probably had flightless feathers along its body. The museum showcases a split life-size replica of Deinonychus, one side with only skin and the other with feathers.

Despite activities geared toward different age and interest groups, senior Dustin McDonald has no interest in visiting the museum.

“I probably would never go to the Met,” McDonald said. “The only way I’d go is if there was a something about sports and how it all originated ?other than that I’d rather go to the movies.”

For those who are interested in visiting the museum, Christmas attractions include “Holidays at the Met,” with displays of decorated trees, wreaths and lights, open until midnight daily. They will also highlight the season with “snowfall” every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 1:30 and 4:30 p.m., along with horse drawn carriage rides Dec. 13 and 20 from 12-4 p.m.

The Feathered Dinosaurs exhibit will continue through March 1, and Crossroads II until August 2009. For driving directions to the Met, click here.