Spanish Club expands cultural awareness

As one of the largest groups on campus, the Spanish Club offers additional activities for students interested in Hispanic culture. Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth founded the club last year with a group of officers and continues to advise the club during its second year.

“The purpose of Spanish Club is to promote cultural awareness of the Spanish language and culture,” Foth said. “You get to experience new food and can expand on your knowledge of Spanish-speaking countries.”

In the summer of 2007, Foth communicated with Spanish Clubs at other schools in order to establish a club constitution and develop ideas for the club’s activities. After former principal Gary Schultz approved Foth’s plan, the 2007-08 year witnessed the inauguration of the club.

“I started the club because I thought it was a good way to appreciate Spanish outside of the classroom while also having fun,” Foth said.

The club garnered many more members than it did last year, Foth said, as the club allowed Spanish I students to join in addition to more experienced Spanish-speakers in Spanish II and III.

At one of the bimonthly meetings, members elected five offices to oversee the club’s operation: senior Andrew Rurik for president, senior Abigail Schoettler for vice president, junior Sydney Ray for secretary, senior Scott Thao for treasurer and senior Brian Weskamp for public relations officer.

With assistance from the officers, Foth planned new activities for club members in order to set it apart from its initial year.

“A new activity planned for this year is that every Friday someone brings a Spanish-related snack and explains it,” Foth said. “We also have more guest speakers this year.”

Club members designed T-shirts to promote the club, which Foth advises members to wear on the day of a Spanish Club meeting.

Sophomore Chelsea Kitahara, one of the new recruits, joined the club for its signature T-shirts and food-dominated events.

“I’m most excited about the food and learning about the culture this year,” Kitahara said. “With the cool, new [club] T-shirts, I can represent Spanish Club and FCS wherever I go.”

Other students express a lack of interest in Spanish culture beyond what is required in foreign language class curricula.

“I’m not interested in learning about the Spanish culture any more than I have to,” JV football player Justin Wilson, ’11, said. “It’s a waste of my lunch time and there’s really no point.”

Because Spanish Club sign-up sheets are no longer available, those wishing to join the club must wait until the next school year.

For more information on Spanish club activities and events, visit the Dec. 16 article, Spanish Club guest guides worship or e-mail Beatriz Foth.