Christmas concert captures season’s essence

With the advent of Christmas Tree Lane, sugar rushes from candy canes and the constant refrain of “Jingle Bells” come the annual campus Christmas concert. The performance, scheduled for Dec. 15, will feature all the musical groups from seventh grade through high school.

Aaron Bryan, choir director, has prepared the junior high choir, concert choir and ensemble classes for the entire performance, but especially for his anticipated finale.

“I am most excited for the finale,” Bryan said. “This year I have invited Mrs. [Susan] Ainley’s fifth and sixth grade choir to join the high school concert choir for the final piece of the concert, ‘Hope for Resolution,’ arranged by Paul Caldwell and Sean Ivory.”

James Loomis, band director, hopes that bringing the band and choir together will be help to unite the music department.

“This Christmas season, it’s our pleasure to bring the FC families together,” Loomis said. “We’re excited to share in the good news of our Savior’s birth! We want to be able to joyously praise our Lord through music with the help of all those who attend.”

Bryan shares Loomis’ aim to honor God through the performance.

“The purpose of this concert,” Bryan said. “Is not only to highlight the hard work of our dedicated students but also to bring the FCS family together to celebrate the single most important birthday in history.”

Scott Yantis, ’09, hopes that the hard work he and his classmates put in will be rewarded.

“I’m really excited,” Yantis said. “We have worked really hard for this concert; I hope that it will be an excellent show for those who attend.”

The band will play a mixture of Christmas music that, according to Frank Daniel, ’11, capture the musical essence of Christmas.

“We are playing traditional Christmas songs,” Daniel said. “We are performing ‘God Rest You Merry Gentlemen,’ ‘Beautiful Savior’ and ‘Joy to the World.'”

The Christmas concert will be held at Riverpark Bible Church located at Millbrook and Alluvial. The concert is free, with the doors opening at 6:40 p.m. and the event beginning at 7 p.m. An offering will be taken to benefit the teachers and staff for an annual Christmas gift presentation later in the week.

For more information, e-mail Loomis or Bryan. Or read the Dec. 4 article, ‘Great Day’ for campus musicians or the Dec. 10, 2007 article, Music department launches Christmas spirit.