Spanish Club guest guides worship

While the aroma of traditional Guatemalan tostadas permeated the room, Jorge Solis, accompanied by his son on the piano, performed worship songs in his native tongue for Spanish Club members at lunch, Dec. 12.

For the fourth year in a row, Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth invited Solis to sing for her students.

?I wanted the students to listen to a guest speaker who was raised in a Spanish-speaking country and speaks a different language,? Foth said.

He appreciates the opportunity to share his personal compositions as well as perform songs sung in many Spanish classes, he said.

?When I’m singing it’s really nice how the kids are paying attention,? Solis said. ?The reason why I wanted to do this was to do it for the Lord.?

Although born in Costa Rica, Solis spent most of his early years in Guatemala. Following a life-threatening accident, Solis began attending church regularly and joined the Peoples Church custodial staff.

He began his music career in the ’80s and in 1984 started singing secular music at a church. Six albums bear his name, all recorded in Spanish, and he plays with his band at churches around the Central Valley.

Solis also serves as the minister in music and the lead musician for worship at a church.

A two-year Spanish Club member, sophomore Sydney Carlson enjoyed listening to Solis’ definitive reggaeton style.

?It was interesting to hear his type of music,? Carlson said. ?It was cool to learn pretty songs in a different language, and his son is a good musician.?

For past coverage of Jorge Solis’ performances, visit the Dec. 5, 2007, article, Custodian raises Hispanic beat. For more information, e-mail Beatriz Foth.