Christmas service benefits community

Many students look forward to the Christmas break as a time away from school when they can relax and enjoy family and presents. However, it becomes easy to forget those less fortunate. Just one day spent assisting somewhere can benefit numerous people.

?God has called us to serve others,? Robert Foshee, head of the Bible department, said. ?Volunteering at places such as the Poverello House or even just handing out food to the homeless helps us to appreciate what we have. It helps us to be more thankful for the blessings that God has given us. It’s easy to focus on ourselves and what’s missing in our lives. However, we are called to love others and we can do that by serving.?

Throughout the holiday season, many organizations need volunteers to help reach the community. Families scattered around Fresno may lack necessities such as food, warm clothing and a place to sleep. Some children never receive gifts or experience a Christmas morning with presents under the tree.

In the midst of holiday parties and relaxation, some students find time to help the community.

?This Christmas I am going with my church, The Valley Community Center, to pass out sandwiches to the homeless and tell them about God,? Matthew Andreatta, ’09, said. ?I participated in this same thing in previous years and it gave me a sense of fulfillment. Feeding the homeless and being able to evangelize with them helps me to appreciate what I have. I’ll do this again whenever I have the opportunity.?

Different groups within the school provide projects that make it more convenient for students to volunteer. The California Scholarship Federation (CSF) Christmas service projects this year include Star Tree, coat and blanket drive for the Poverello House and collecting money for World Vision.

?All of the students at our school are very privileged,? junior Sarah Barnett, CSF member, said. ?There are a lot of people that need help, so we should help them in whatever ways we can. The CSF projects allow students to give back to the community right here. We try to make it as simple and convenient as possible.?

Because of community service requirements in all Bible classes, many students volunteer at various places throughout the year. According to Rachel Gutherie, help is needed every season and not just during Christmas.

?I think people should volunteer all year long,? Gutherie, ’10, said. ?The Christmas season shouldn’t be what makes people volunteer; it should just be an incentive to go out and actually do it. Places such as the Poverello House need help all the time. Although I am personally not volunteering this Christmas, I have before at the Poverello House and it made me feel like I really made a difference in someone’s life.?

For more information, e-mail Robert Foshee or read the Nov. 3 article, Service project marshals volunteers.