Defender prizes player fellowship

Before the clock starts, emotions flood the player’s veins while he awaits the first kick. The referee gives the signal and the defender powerfully plunges towards the ball, kicking it past the middle of the field.

Junior Gerald Bell has fostered a passion for soccer ever since he began playing in elementary school. Playing year-round takes hours of time and dedication, forcing him to sacrifice playing other sports.

?I play on a recreational team and a travel team. I used to play football, but this year I didn?t play because I wanted to focus more on soccer,” Bell said. “Even though I had to give up football, it was worth it in the end.”

Playing soccer helps Bell stay in shape due to daily team conditioning. It also helps him build a strong connection with the other players considering they all have similar interests.

“I love soccer because it gives me something to do after school and keeps me out of trouble,” Bell said. “I enjoy hanging out with my friends and going to tournaments such as Garces with them. Soccer forces me to get out of my comfort zone and talk to people I don’t normally talk to.”

Bell played for the Sierra League at the beginning of the school year. He enjoyed playing for a recreational and travel team because he bonded with teammates, he said.

?Playing for Sierra was very helpful and I learned a lot from playing with different teammates,” Bell said. “We played Sierra once at the beginning of the season. It was fun to play against them because I knew everyone on the team. Even though we lost, it was still my favorite game we’ve played this season.”

Bell recently went to Garces for the yearly school team tournament. Despite their two losses, he felt satisfied with his team’s overall performance.

?We ended up being 2-2 at the end of the tournament,” Bell said. “I felt our overall performance was good. It?s a perfect time to get to know the players and the trip also helps our team bond. It was really fun but super tiring.”

Bell said the trip was beneficial and it helped the players feel more comfortable around each other. One of the traditional activities is the white elephant exchange.

?We each bring a random present under $10,” Bell said. “Out of the whole trip, I?d have to say that?s my favorite part. It forces us to open up and be ourselves around the other players.?

This year, Bell carried on the tradition of accidentally scoring on the FC goalie of four years, senior Vincent Cabias.

?I went to kick the ball and I hit it wrong on my foot and ended up scoring on Vincent,” Bell said. “The other team got a point. It was very embarrassing, but it?s not the first time it?s happened.?

There seems to be a trend of players on defense making mistakes of scoring on their own goalie. Last year Coleton Hutchins, ’08, scored on Cabias.

?Since freshman year, a Fresno Christian teammate has scored on me at least once throughout the season,? Cabias said. “We all make mistakes, but most of the time people learn from them.”

Soccer coach Matt Markarian has been pleased with Bell’s overall performance on the field, he said. He has enjoyed coaching him for the past three years and believes he is an asset to the team.

“Bell is a very determined individual and he has an ability to work through everything,” Markarian said. “He has many strengths but has yet to surprise me with any weaknesses.”

In his free time, Bell spends most of his time playing his drums. He has possessed a love for music from a young age.

?If playing soccer in college doesn?t work out, then I’ll pursue a drumming career. If an opportunity were to open up I would definitely take it,” Bell said. “I have enjoyed playing the drums, along with soccer, ever since I can remember.”