Strict routine catalyzes improvement

After an entire semester of constant repetition and rigid schedules, the three-week Christmas break allowed for unstructured relaxation. The lack of routine, filled with late-night parties and New Year revelry, disrupted the steady regimen of the school year.

Although the autonomy of the vacation complimented the holiday season, a planned schedule facilitates consistency and better time management throughout the monotonous winter season. For juniors and seniors, SAT preparation may seem a daunting task ? especially the over 500 vocabulary words on the test. However, a daily memorization schedule can lighten the burden and allow students to use their time wisely.

A strict routine also helps fuel motivation to succeed. Those who adhere to a daily plan can expect their mile time or math skills to improve more quickly than others who rely on random practice.

Though routines may feel dull, attitudes can change when one must work through the night on an assignment due the next morning.

The benefits of organization also extend to weekend relaxation. Fans of the critically-acclaimed ABC drama Lost claim one missed episode will leave them mystified during the next week’s installment. Family time during the weekend is an honored tradition in many households. Setting aside time for friends and parents allows for balance between responsibilities and recreation.

However, a strict schedule can debilitate as constant repetition often deadens adventurous spirits and confines routine-lovers to their comfort zones. Opportunities that appear outside plausibility are often ignored in the pursuit of identical daily schedules.

The benefits and drawbacks of stringent habits require a balance between care-free improvisation and organized plans. When routine is utilized for productivity’s sake and not to buffer new experiences, it provides a tool for later success.

For more opinions from The Feather staff, read the the Dec. 17 editorial, Accusations undermine authority.